I was just referring to you saying they shouldn't have anything except formulated feed. Mine eat bugs, seeds, grass, garden plants... I don't feed them corn, but they eat a lot of things other than chick feed.
Ah, okay. It's early here, I probably haven't worded it properly. It sounded origonally like the chicks were contained, which means they can't pick and choose, they're stuck with what's given. Out ranging, they have some ability to choose what they think they need, but if contained, best to stick with something meant for a balanced diet

Ah, okay. It's early here, I probably haven't worded it properly. It sounded origonally like the chicks were contained, which means they can't pick and choose, they're stuck with what's given. Out ranging, they have some ability to choose what they think they need, but if contained, best to stick with something meant for a balanced diet

I gotcha now.

Can chicks eat cracked corn ground up into almost a powder without grit?
Or do they still need grit regardless of if its a powdery food? thanks!!
Yes, they can. Corn meal is a good emergency food if you are in a bind. They can digest it without a problem.

If you read the label for many different chicken feeds, including many brands of Chick Starter or Grower, corn is often an ingredient. They grind the corn up along with all the other ingredients. That makes mash, a powder often served wet to make a paste. To make pellets (for older chickens) they add water to make a paste, extrude that through a die, and flash dry it. To make crumble, they just partially crush pellets. The form doesn't matter, it has all been pre-ground and they don't need grit to grind it up.

If you read the label for many different chicken feeds, including many brands of Chick Starter or Grower, corn is often an ingredient. They do not put corn in there to stunt the growth of your chicks. They balance the nutrition and other essential elements provided in corn with the other ingredients to create a balanced ration that has the protein, vitamins, minerals, fats, fiber, salt, and such that they need in a balanced diet. You can feed corn as a treat, many people do, but like any other treat it is best to restrict the amount to less than 10% of their daily diet so you maintain a balanced diet. 10% means what they can clean up in maybe 10 to 15 minutes.

If you don't feed a commercial or balanced feed or they forage for a lot of their food then all that is out of the window. Many chickens are fed something other than commercial feed. Corn can be part of their diet but, like everything else, should be fed in moderation. Too much if anything is usually not a good thing.
not use up all the grit I have.
If your native soil has gravel in it, if you let them peck at the ground they will find their own grit.

Not 100% on topic but have you tried fermented feed? It's easy to do and it has been saving me money. Also, my birds love how it tastes.

I do like she does in this video except I use a piece of paper towel and a rubber band as the lid while it ferments.

Just thought I'd mention this since you said you're trying to make your feed stretch further.

Back
Top Bottom