Cracked Egg

LaurenThompson

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada
Hello! We have had our small (5 hens) flock for not quite a week yet! We have been lucky enough to collect 5 blue eggs so far! We received our very first brown egg this morning, but unfortunately she laid it on the run ramp and it rolled down and got a small crack in it. I know it was not fit for consumption, so we disposed of it...however, it got me thinking, would it have been fine to feed to our dog by chance? Or is there something else we can do with a cracked egg? It just felt so terrible disposing of it!

Thank you!

I mean, my dogs eat chicken poop... so I can't imagine a freshly cracked egg is worse! :D

That said, I think the concern with cracked eggs is that it is letting bacteria in, and therefore 'goes bad' much faster. If the egg JUST cracked, there isn't likely too much bacterial penetration yet. Probably wouldn't hurt you cooked either (if you ate it immediately), but definitely would be fine to feed any animals, esp cooked.

We saved an egg that had a pinhole crack and ate it the next day (refrigerated) and nothing terrible happened! That said, it was very clean, and the membrane was still intact - I can't see how it's too much different from cracking an egg into a bowl, then putting it in the fridge, then cooking it in a few hours.

I mean, my dogs eat chicken poop... so I can't imagine a freshly cracked egg is worse! :D

That said, I think the concern with cracked eggs is that it is letting bacteria in, and therefore 'goes bad' much faster. If the egg JUST cracked, there isn't likely too much bacterial penetration yet. Probably wouldn't hurt you cooked either (if you ate it immediately), but definitely would be fine to feed any animals, esp cooked.

We saved an egg that had a pinhole crack and ate it the next day (refrigerated) and nothing terrible happened! That said, it was very clean, and the membrane was still intact - I can't see how it's too much different from cracking an egg into a bowl, then putting it in the fridge, then cooking it in a few hours.
We've done the same- there's really not enough time for the egg to go bad. I refrigerate ours practically as they lay them-

Back
Top Bottom