cracked egg

I had 3 duck eggs and a chicken hen on them. One was not fertile, and on day 8 the mom cracked both remaining eggs. one was beyond helping, one was only air cell. I put it in an incubator with hatching eggs. (lots of moisture) and it hatched!
Billie.PNG

Does this hen have to go? I am thinking about trying to crate her in the run for a few days so she only has access to the coop at night. I would appreciate anyone sharing thoughts and ideas. I am new to chickens so I don't know if this is something that will/can pass or is this is just the hen's personality.
She almost sounds like she's gearing up to be an egg eater... or at the very least has some weird obsession with guarding/messing around in the nests. The eggs are probably getting damaged with all her shenanigans in the nest box.

Not sure if it'd work, but a roll away nest box might do the trick here... at least it'd stop her from damaging intact eggs. But it won't stop her from following the other birds in when they're laying.

She almost sounds like she's gearing up to be an egg eater... or at the very least has some weird obsession with guarding/messing around in the nests. The eggs are probably getting damaged with all her shenanigans in the nest box.

Not sure if it'd work, but a roll away nest box might do the trick here... at least it'd stop her from damaging intact eggs. But it won't stop her from following the other birds in when they're laying.
The crushed egg today was a first and I am hoping maybe it isn't even related to her craziness. I forgot to mention that the broken egg today was another hen's egg.

What is a roll away nesting box?

Does this hen have to go? I am thinking about trying to crate her in the run for a few days so she only has access to the coop at night. I would appreciate anyone sharing thoughts and ideas.
Could very well be.
Might try some jail time first.
I had a neurotic nest messing hen once, long story, but she was delicious.

Could very well be.
Might try some jail time first.
I had a neurotic nest messing hen once, long story, but she was delicious.
Oh no. I am worried it may come to this especially after her refusal to be moved and forceful behavior towards the other hens.

Does the shell feel thinner at the end there, since it's always cracking in the same spot?

My guess is:

the egg is cracking upon being laid (and the shell may be thinner in that spot) because she's pushing so much bedding out of the way that there isn't enough padding. You don't need to buy nest pads BTW... what I use is empty feed bags, folded to fit the nest bottom, and that lodges in nicely so that the hens can't push them out. Put bedding over that. If that still isn't enough padding, you can put a couple sheets of bubble wrap inside the feed bag (to prevent chickens from messing with it) and then fold it to fit and add bedding.

View attachment 2868641

Back
Top Bottom