Cracked Egg

stokesdalefunnyfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Stokesdale, NC
As I do everyday, I go to see if my smallest Rock had laid her egg for the day as she has been carrying the weight of my other 9 hens that haven't started laying. Then to my suprise, I have 3 eggs in the box! YAY....one egg, which was the largest was cracked in several places. Is this a sign that there may be something wrong with one of my hens, or does it just happen sometimes?

Thanks!!!

jb

Occasionally I get crushed eggs, cracked eggs, eggs with a little hole, etc. I don't see a pattern, just once in a while from a hen here and there. I feel it's just them not watching where they step, not enough bedding, or an egg gets rolled too hard.

Mine just started laying a couple weeks ago and this morning there were two eggs in one nest box-one egg's shell was a little cracked and it seemed like the shell was somewhat thin. I'm assuming we shouldn't eat that egg-even though I know it was laid within two hours of me finding it?
hu.gif

I will be very excited the day I find three eggs in the nest box!
smile.png

Last edited:
The only cracked one I did not eat was one that was under the roost but it was cracked pretty good and next to a POO! So I cooked it and gave it back to the girls. The cracked one I found in the nest box I put in the fridge and ate it for breakfast the next day.

Back
Top Bottom