Cracked eggs in incubator?

Tomorrow
smile.png

Candled an egg on day 8 and it was developing very nicely. I noticed it had some dirt and gunk stuck on it that I missed when I put it in the incubator, so I scraped it off. Big mistake- it took a chunk of the shell off with it and left a good sized hole in my egg. There wasn't much I could do for it but put some candle wax on it and hope for the best. The hole was near the small end of the egg and over time, the air cell migrated so that it ran down the long side of the egg. Much to my surprise, the perfect and healthy little chick hatched on its own this morning.

Meet Wax the Wyandotte, a little hope for anyone attempting to hatch broken eggs. :)

Well, my cracked egg (which was cracked before I started incubating it) hatched last night. It didn't have all its yolk absorbed. I placed it on a paper towel, hoping it would stay there and not drag the yolk across the wire on the bottom of my 'bator. No such luck. I woke up to find it dead this morning. Poor little thing, made it all the way through the 21 days, hatched and passed away for the effort :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom