Cracked eggs when laid

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I’ve had 3-4 eggs like this over the last two weeks from the same chicken. They have oyster shell and layer crumble readily available whenever they wish. Is there something else I can do to prevent this?

Attachments

• A3AF603F-E3B7-4687-9DB8-72BA238E2679.jpeg
    A3AF603F-E3B7-4687-9DB8-72BA238E2679.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 17
I’ve had 3-4 eggs like this over the last two weeks from the same chicken. They have oyster shell and layer crumble readily available whenever they wish. Is there something else I can do to prevent this?
I have the same problem, it doesnt happen everyday for me though. My chickens peck the eggs but then stop for some reason. Try putting some fake eggs in to see if they are secretly pecking the real eggs, it may stop them. Or, do you have some type of "cushion" or bedding in their nesting boxes? When they lay them it may crack them if there is not enough bedding in the box.

I have the same problem, it doesnt happen everyday for me though. My chickens peck the eggs but then stop for some reason. Try putting some fake eggs in to see if they are secretly pecking the real eggs, it may stop them. Or, do you have some type of "cushion" or bedding in their nesting boxes? When they lay them it may crack them if there is not enough bedding in the box.
I have two nesting boxes both with a golf ball in each and large pine shavings. She does seem to push the shavings around a little bit and take some of the padding away though. I guess I didn’t imagine them coming out that fast lol 🤣 I’ll try adding a little more just as a precaution! Thank you for taking the time and suggesting this!

I have two nesting boxes both with a golf ball in each and large pine shavings. She does seem to push the shavings around a little bit and take some of the padding away though. I guess I didn’t imagine them coming out that fast lol 🤣 I’ll try adding a little more just as a precaution! Thank you for taking the time and suggesting this!
Your welcome! Hope it works!

That piece of framing in the back bottom that is exposed, I'd guess that's where it's hitting.
Have the same issue here at times.
But I use a thick flake of straw jammed in tight and bowled out a bit, keep the edges covered but I still have to recover it as the straw gets thinned out back there.
Looks like you may need to add a front lip on your nests about 4-6" high.

I have the same issue. No matter how much hay I put, they root around enough, to expose the ledge.

I got some of those plastic artificial grass-type mats. They do not like those, so they never lay in those boxes.

Now, I wait until they have a pretty good nest formed. Then I carefully pick up the nest and slide the plastic mat under and set the nest down. They have not seemed to mind this approach and my eggs are rairly cracked. It does looks like I need to add the mat under a nest.

Attachments

• 20200926_081800.jpg
    20200926_081800.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200926_081729.jpg
    20200926_081729.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200926_081741.jpg
    20200926_081741.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom