Crackling in lungs

TinyUrbanFlock

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2018
I have a hen who has slightly labored breathing and crackling lungs. I noticed a few months ago that she was breathing heavy and coughing a lot when she ate. She never had any discharge from eyes or nose, no swelling of the face, no lethargy, no loss of appetite. Very healthy and happy otherwise. Her only symptoms were the heavy breathing and rattly lungs (only heard when you put your ear to her back). I brought her in and isolated her. I did a round of dewormer Thinking maybe it was gapeworm. No change. Did a cycle of Tylan with no change. I also had a humidifier and going for her at night which actually seemed to help. She has improved a little in that her breathing isn’t as labored as it once was, but she still has crackling in her lung and breaths heavy when sitting. I have been listening to the other girl’s lungs and noticed the ever so slightest crackle now in another hen’s lungs. At this point I’m assuming it’s Chronic Respiratory Disease since nothing has gotten rid of it. . Is there anything I can do? Will this kill my babies? I’ve been giving vitamin B complex the last two days and vet rx.

Have you checked her crop often, especially in the early morning when it should be empty? If it feels full and hard or puffy, and she has not eaten from the day before, crop contents might be coming back up into her throat and causing the rattles. Crackles or rales are usually from mucus in the airway. She might have some low level chronic condition or respiratory issue, or she could be irritated by something in the environment. Most times you may not know what the issue is exactly without testing or a necropsy if she dies. If she has a crop issue, those can be sour crop or impacted crop, and may be common in hens with other issues, such as egg yolk peritonitis and others.

I have a hen who has slightly labored breathing and crackling lungs. I noticed a few months ago that she was breathing heavy and coughing a lot when she ate. She never had any discharge from eyes or nose, no swelling of the face, no lethargy, no loss of appetite. Very healthy and happy otherwise. Her only symptoms were the heavy breathing and rattly lungs (only heard when you put your ear to her back). I brought her in and isolated her. I did a round of dewormer Thinking maybe it was gapeworm. No change. Did a cycle of Tylan with no change. I also had a humidifier and going for her at night which actually seemed to help. She has improved a little in that her breathing isn’t as labored as it once was, but she still has crackling in her lung and breaths heavy when sitting. I have been listening to the other girl’s lungs and noticed the ever so slightest crackle now in another hen’s lungs. At this point I’m assuming it’s Chronic Respiratory Disease since nothing has gotten rid of it. . Is there anything I can do? Will this kill my babies? I’ve been giving vitamin B complex the last two days and vet rx.
I have heard of this with meat chickens. Is it meat or heritage?

Back
Top Bottom