Crafters- What are you making???

Pics
I made a saddle for each of my 20+ y.o. nieces (3)...two actually ride the other will probably hang it on the wall or whatever.

All the ladies in my family(9 of them) are getting new hand-carved leather purses.

Every branch of the family will get a parcel of Handmade cheeses,cold cuts,proscuitto d`Parma and whatever from the garden or forest including some dried wild mushrooms that I gathered while hunting.

I made the wife a 22 Kt yellow gold ring with a setting of opals,rubies and diamonds that I shaped or faceted and polished myself.

The ladies are getting a new coop with a scrounged a/c window unit for when it gets 105+ in August. Evaporative chiller fan only dropped temp six degrees this past summer when daytime temps were 108+. Not quite cool enough for the ladies.

Black Walnuts. Where I grew up near Elkins,WV,we would lay out the nuts in their green husks on the concrete driveway and place a sheet of plywood on top of them...then back up the truck and/or the tractor a couple few times...slip on the neoprene gloves and scoop up the shucked nuts. Use the husks to make wood stain. The shucked nuts have to be 'cured' for a few weeks by placing them between two window screens propped between two sawhorses or some other such. Just make sure the keep dry and in the sun...rain,snow and dark will bring on the worms. The screens keep away the squirrels and chippies. Then when the nuts are dry crack them out of their shells with a hammer and use a steel nut pick to get out the nut meats. They're a pain but no nut tastes like a black walnut...it's worth the effort!

Homemade soap is a fun and easy hobby.

Fun...yes. Easy...NO. Not if it's REAL soap. Melt and pour soap is easy. Real handcrafted soap from scratch is difficult and dangerous. If it doesn't include lye and 4 weeks of curing then it's not real soap. If it includes a microwave then it's so not real soap.
lau.gif

I'm going to try my hand at making little figurines out of polymer clay!
I'll make some tree ornaments as well, if they work out real cute, I might make some for gifts!

I would sure like to be on the Christmas gift list for carugoman!!! Sounds like some beautiful leather works will be unde that tree!!! You should post some pics, everything you wrote about sounds like hours and hours of hard work, so let us see!!
smile.png

I'm with Scrambled Egg on being on Carugoman's Christmas list.

I do have a question for him any way. What are the steps to making like a checkbook cover and whatnot? Does it have to be wet before you can tool? I bought a leather kit, and would like to make things for Christmas.

I do a needlework called "Hardanger". It's Norwegian, but I'm not Norwegian. I just kind of fell into it from being a cross-sticher.

2047890934_502084f065.jpg

2047890198_e38725e12c.jpg

Buff Hooligans, that is absolutely beautiful!
My grandmother did something similar (I have several pieces of her work) and I have a book on it somewhere, but I don't remember the name being Hardanger.
Your Christmas gift recipients are lucky to be getting a gorgeous heirloom like that!!!

I'm trying my hand at all natural wreaths. I'm using cedar, pine, ivy, nandina clippings. Just about anything that is pretty I'll put on the wreath. Only thing not green is the bow and wire. Can't go all natural I guess. I love using the fresh stuff. The fake stuff is just too fake.

Back
Top Bottom