Craigslist Chickens?

sean_wonder

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone here started a flock from Craigslist chickens? I've been looking through craigslist and buying chickens (or maybe even just claiming some free ones) is a lot cheaper than buying them from the hatchery, however hatcheries ensure many things, like the chickens will be healthy and so on. The shipping price from my ideal hatchery to my house is nearly $90 dollars-- thats over $200 dollars just for five birds.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with chickens from Craigslist versus a hatchery, please let me know.

Sure, i have brought many chickens home i found on craigslist.
People find out they are not set up for them due to preditors, or they are moving and cant take them with them.
Its best to keep them separate from your current birds for a time untill you are sure they are healthy, but i have never gotten anything bad.
Alot of times you can tell by the condition of there home when you pick them up if you have anything to wory about. I have been given birds, feed, coops, and equipment by some people who genuinely loved ther birds.
A couple have even stoped by a few years later to check on them and visit.

Craigslist makes me a little nervous, you have to be really careful not to end up with a cockerel flock or illness. If you can find someone as @50-45-1 suggested that is getting rid of them because they aren't equipped to care for them, they're moving, they were the victim of chicken math, or something similar that is your best bet. Have you tried finding a breeder or farm store selling chicks in your area? Both are still offering chicks this season in my area.

I've gotten birds from 3 different people on Craigslist.
I wanted started pullets or older birds of a known sex and breed.
I felt driving and picking them up I'd be able to see the conditions they were kept in and if they were healthy and avoid the stress of shipping a bird.

1. I went to an organic chicken farm that advertised heavily on craigslist. At the time they did not have their own website. It seemed that most ads I'd clicked on took me to the same business so I gave them a call. These were my first birds and it was extremely helpful to me to be able to meet someone who knew all about raising chickens and learn from them everything I could. It was a very good experience. I did have a health issue with a few of my birds down the line and I was able to call them and tap into their knowledge again in learning how to treat my birds. They were also willing and able to take back and trade out any surprise roosters.

2. I went to another homestead to pick up started pullets. This was a woman who ordered hatching eggs online and raised them for a hobby and sold them as started pullets. Again, I had a good experience. I was able to walk around, see her flock, learn from her, and pick exactly which birds I wanted. I could watch their behavior and pick ones I thought would fit best in my flock.

3. This was the least personal experience. I met two women in a public place. I don't think they were comfortable with a stranger from CL coming to their home. We met in a parking lot at a central location and simply transferred birds from a dog kennel in their car to a dog kennel in my car. I learned the names of the birds and that was about it. They had hand raised them from day olds or hatched eggs and were thinning their flock in preparation for spring hatching time.

CL is like anything else. You can usually get a good feel for the seller based on 1 photos and 2 meeting and talking to them. If you show up and the places is a dump and unhealthy looking you can always change your mind. I've purchased some chickens three times in the past 3 years and all have been from craigslist. Some people would argue that certain people have healthier chickens and take better care of them then a hatchery wood.

I buy from CL, first thing I look for is I must see the birds in their environment, IF we cant do this the deal is bust.
And when I let go of any I invite the proposed buyer to come view them before dark so they can see my birds are healthy very nice looking free range, but often older birds. (I may add a few pullets as well). Once the sun sets I take them off the roost for the buyer,,,

Back
Top Bottom