Craigslist chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenlover50010, Nov 7, 2009.

1. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Hello! I was on craigslist today and I noticed that you can buy chickens on there(I know, I'm a little slow with these sorts of things [​IMG] ) Did you ever buy or consider buying chickens on there? Thanks!

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think it is a popular source for both chickens and poultry items. I am not sure on how reliable the sources are but I do know folks look into it quite a bit.

AL

3. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    I think it's probably a mixed bag. I got my hens from a craigslist ad, and it turned out to be just fine. A lady had purchased 25 chicks (all pullets), had grown them out to 4 weeks and needed to reduce the flock. I went over and took the 7 I wanted. They were healthy and have stayed healthy. That said, I have heard of some negative things: hens sold that were older than advertised so weren't laying, chickens in deplorable conditions or sick, roos sold as pullets, etc.

I think it's a buyer beware situation, but it can turn out just fine!

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

You can buy if you want...Just remember to keep them in quarantine for about 2 weeks to 1 month to make sure they don't have any diseases. I've got 4 in quarantine right now with 2 of them showing suspicious snotty noses!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Vanessa (ArizonaNessa) here on BYC sells her chickens on Craigslist.

She has real quality and I've bought from her.

Of course I did end up doing a rescue of one I found on there last week... that's an add I wish I hadn't followed up on.

6. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Great, Thanks!

7. I got my first batch of eggs from Craigslist. As soon as fiances improve, Im going to get started on a new batch.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have bought chickens on craigslist before.

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I sell my chicks on craiglist all spring and summer and I also sell (or give away) extra pullets and roos that I have grown out. It seems to work well for me and gives me the chance to educate people on having chickens in the city limits [​IMG]

ETA: I have a waiting list for this spring already for sex-linked chicks and grown out pullets - will have to start hatching in February I think...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  10. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I agree with Quillgirl. Its a mixed bag. You can do very well or you can do not so well. I see them on Craigslist all the time. I just prefer to get them from a poultry breeder. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by