Craigslist chickens

Dirty Farmer

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I just picked up four free Craigslist hens. They've been laying for about a year now, but the previous owner didn't want to take care of them, with the hassle that the winter brings. So now I have four more hens. What breed are they?

Thanks.

Is a "Production Red" a byproduct of crossing a Rhode Island red and somthing else?

They make good layers? A harty winter breed? A dual purpose, layer/meatie?

I'd say more along the lines of hatchery RIR. My PR is much lighter, and she was the darkest of her sisters.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were PR either. :) They look like they will bring you great eggs!

Production Reds, and they are fairly cold hardy. If it gets really cold where you are, you may want to rub some vaseline on their combs and wattles to prevent frostbite. And yes, they are both good layers and dual purpose.

Thanks.

Is a "Production Red" a byproduct of crossing a Rhode Island red and somthing else?

They make good layers? A harty winter breed? A dual purpose, layer/meatie?

I think Production Reds are something like RIRxNH. I agree they look to be either hatchery RIR or Production Reds. Pretty good dual purpose (layers and for meat) and cold hardy.

I agree with the other posts on here- Production Reds or RI Reds. The one on the far right even has a slim chance of being a Partridge Plymouth Rock, although I doubt it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom