Craigslist Coop!!

blessedchick

Songster
8 Years
Nov 29, 2011
YEAH!! I found this coop on Craigslist and brought it home on Sunday. It even came complete with 6 hens (which were adopted by a friend since I'm currently addicted to Silkies and Showgirls). I'm a bit concerned about the ramp being navigable by Silkies...I'm going to add to the length of it so at least it is down to the ground. I will also be removing the 2 egg boxes so they can be closer to the floor, too. Another opening on the long side is planned...covered with hw wire with a plexi insert for winter. Please please please feel free to offer up suggestions. This is my first coop so I'm open to all ideas! Oh, and of course it will be painted to match my house/barn...
wink.png

back...with the ladies and opening to pull the ramp up. Plans are for "windows" on either side of the little opening

Below is the other side with the cleaning/feeding access door open. Egg box access doors are on the left side. After the coop is put into place, an attached run will be the next order of business. My chicks are still too tiny to be put outside, so I have plenty of time for improvements. WOO-HOO!!!
wee.gif

Is the top waterproof? It appears to be made of boards from a fence.
What is the climate like where you live?
Do you intend to move it around like a tractor?

Nice.
I am about $150 in lumber and nails into a 6'x8' coop/run and still have a long way to go. They certainly don't give that hardware cloth away.
th.gif

Is the top waterproof? It appears to be made of boards from a fence.
What is the climate like where you live?
Do you intend to move it around like a tractor?

Hi redhen! The entire coop is made from cedar boards and the fellow who built it waterproofed it inside and out. He built it last spring and it seems to have endured the winter just fine. I live in Ohio and the coop is from northern Ohio so it had to withstand some lake effect. A friend of mine is coming out to look at it tomorrow to see about helping me build a run, put in the extra windows/ventilation, etc. He is a builder so I hope to get his input on if I should cover that roof...I thought about putting it on wheels, but it is a BEAST!!! It took 4 people to shimmy it onto my trailer and 2 people plus a tractor to unload it! It will stay where it landed till my friend brings out his fork lift to move it into place!

I know what you mean, wilbilt! I'm completely inept at building, so I was bent on finding a deal where I didn't have to alter too much of it. This shed (plus feeders, waterer, 1 bag of feed and 6 chickens) set me back $300. I just couldn't turn it down!

I'm still concerned about that ramp. Any input from Silkie people on what type of modifications I could do to make it more Silkie friendly??

My little Silkies get around pretty well, but they don't have to contend with much of a ramp to get into their coop. As long as they have good footing and little planks to keep them from sliding I bet they'll be fine. I would have it down to the ground though.

Back
Top Bottom