Craigslist

I buy/sell/give away on CL all the time. It is my second source for everything I have here on my little farm with the exception of my Delaware flock. Everything else, I get a good bit from CL. I have sold chickens and goats on CL in the last year. It's a great way to trade stock. I have never had an issue with believing the animals are going to a bad home. I haven't replied to any that I would be leary of recieving stock from, or sending stock to. It has been a totally positive experience all around for me in my area. The only way to know is to give it a try. Some CL areas aren't as good as others, but I think a good percentage are good markets to get rid of unwanted stock, and pick up additions to your flock.

Quote:
Maybe I'm the one who missed something, but I thought it was the other way 'round - that you can re-home a pet, but not sell them. Livestock sales they are okay with.

If you want to make sure this guy goes to a pet home, post a picture of him, and make sure the ad plays up how small and tough and stringy he is under those fluffy feathers! Focus on how friendly and well-loved he's been, and make his pet status clear. There will surely be at least one responder that will be willing to give your kids regular updates on their former friend.

Good luck!

Quote:
Maybe I'm the one who missed something, but I thought it was the other way 'round - that you can re-home a pet, but not sell them. Livestock sales they are okay with.

If you want to make sure this guy goes to a pet home, post a picture of him, and make sure the ad plays up how small and tough and stringy he is under those fluffy feathers! Focus on how friendly and well-loved he's been, and make his pet status clear. There will surely be at least one responder that will be willing to give your kids regular updates on their former friend.

Good luck!

That's what I thought too. Alot of people who are "selling" pups or such, will usually get flagged, in the pet section. However, in the farm and garden section, you should have no problem finding him a new home. I had to rehome my rooster that I had raised from 2 days old, this last July. I get very attatched, and did not want to do it. He was an absolutely beautifyl splash, Blue Andalusian, that was supposed to be a pullet, but, he was becoming very people aggressive. I was able to find a man that had no problems with him being people aggressive. He really like his coloring and wanted to add him to his breeding program. Because I had an aggressive rooster, I put this upfront in the ad, so as noone with children would think they were getting a nice, friendly rooster. But I think it is the pics that worked. I did ask the man, strait up, what he planned on using the rooster for. He knew what I meant, because he said, "don't worry, I don't plan on eating him" He told me he wouldn't waste his time with most roosters, because it is too much work, for such a scrawny amount of meat. He told me that he deals with aggressive roos from time to time and it is no biggie for him. I will say, that when I tried to sell him, I didn't get any responses-go figure, he's mean
hmm.png
, but when I offered him for free, I got tons of takers. Just try to weed out the ones you don't feel comfortable with. I was able to take my roo to his new home too, so I was able to see where he was going. (Because I am a stay at home mom with young girls, I don't like people I don't know, coming to my house.) Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom