Craigslist

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Moodyblues7718, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Moodyblues7718

Moodyblues7718 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Corbett, Oregon
    So I've sold lots of birds of Craigslist..of course I dusted them twice before they left and bathed them...But I've only bought one bird of Craigslist before I would Like to know if anyone else has had this problem in Oregon..............

So my rooster was attacked a coon and died and I needed a rooster to take too Clackamas County Fair since I was signed up for that.....

I went on Craigslist and found this 3mth old $5.00 rooster talked to the person she said he was in good health and everything...Black Cochin with Gold Trim...and I figured after fair I'd sell him I didnt want another rooster

My mom met the lady she gave him to us in a falling apart Cardboard box, It smelt like dead animal.....and when we got home he was covered in old egg yolk, feces, couldnt walk, I had to hand feed and wash him...

in about 2mths I had him (in the house) walking, jumping, chirping, eating, he'd climb the stairs and was a healthy chicken He went to a petting zoo...placed first in 2 classes at fair...and I still have him now

Has anyone ever had odd Craigslist Experiences Before???

This is him at fair

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I don't have a craiglist story, but I'm glad your hard work was rewarded! Well done!

3. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Glad you could save him and give him a happy life!

Here's my story;
    I got started with chickens alil over a year ago. Well, I was searching for chickens on craigslist(before I found out you could order them in the mail :eek: totally suprised me) and I came across an ad for 8 hens, 2 leghorns, 2 buff orps, 2 RIR, an australop and a barred rock. Plus an Americana roo(later found out was an EE) it was a great mix of breeds for eggs. I drove out to get them one saturday and was horrified by their home. I'd seen healthy happy chickens before and these poor birds weren't happy or healthy! 9 birds were crammed into a 5x5 metal shed, No roost, waterer was dry, No feeder dish or anything, poop caked on everything! A strong smell of amonia! No outdoor time, and expect for one 2inch holes drilled into each wall, No ventilation :( she was selling them super cheap because she was mad that at a year old they'd quite laying! I took them home, gave them all baths. Then they got Nutridrench, warm oatmeal, fresh corn, canned cat food and black oil sunflower seeds. I dusted them and dewormed, and started antibiotics. Then they got put in a clean, huge coop, with roosts and 2 huge windows and nest boxes. I let them into a huge 30ft by 20ft run with lots a grass. 2 days later I lost the barred rock. 3 days after I lost both RIRs 2 weeks later, I heard the rooster crow for the 1st time! A couple days after that on thanksgiving I got my first egg, I didn't get another one til New years day. The white leghorns went to a new home across the street. But the orps, australorp and the roo are happily living life here.

4. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    That is a horrible experience. I can't believe what people will lie about on Craigslist. I'm so glad that he had someone like you to nurse him back to health and find a good home, though. [​IMG]
    I'm sure he will live happily ever after and enjoy the kids at his petting zoo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by