cramming into one nesting box

ginger c.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Alabama
hi all! we have 4 standard chickens and they are all right at 20 weeks, no eggs yet,
he.gif
in the evenings when we put them to bed they insist on cramming themselves into one nesting box. there are three boxes and also roosts in the coop. should we try to stop them from sleeping in the nesting box, and if so how!!!????!!! help please.
barnie.gif

If your roost isn't high enough above your nesting boxes, they'll roost in the boxes. Try moving your roost up a few inches. I was having the same problem and from advice from here, moved my roost up 4" and low and behold, they roosted on the roost and not the nesting boxes!

Quote:
The roost outside the nesting boxes is about 3-4" higher than the nests. In the morning, they'll be on that or the lower roosts. But when they first get in they fight over a box. The funny thing is... it isn't always the same box. Sometimes they want #1 sometimes #2.

ginger c. :

Quote:
The roost outside the nesting boxes is about 3-4" higher than the nests. In the morning, they'll be on that or the lower roosts. But when they first get in they fight over a box. The funny thing is... it isn't always the same box. Sometimes they want #1 sometimes #2.

That's about how much higher mine was before I raised it. And yes, they all use the same nesting box to lay.​

lol.png
Mine do the same thing!! All 7 of them cram into one box (the little ones still sleep in a pile in the corner). I have a roost on the opposite side of the coop, and 5 boxes, still they pile in! I'm going to block the boxes in a day or two. If it works I'll let you know.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom