1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cramming into one nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginger c., Aug 29, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    hi all! we have 4 standard chickens and they are all right at 20 weeks, no eggs yet, [​IMG] in the evenings when we put them to bed they insist on cramming themselves into one nesting box. there are three boxes and also roosts in the coop. should we try to stop them from sleeping in the nesting box, and if so how!!!????!!! help please. [​IMG]

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    For 20 Pullets, I have 8 nesting boxes, but they all decide that they need to form a line and all use the same one nesting box [​IMG]

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I thought they were not suppose to sleep in
    nesting boxes...too messy.
    Someone let me know if I'm wrong:confused:

4. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    They aren't. How many roosts do you have ?

5. ginger c.

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:there are 3 roosts in the coop, one of those is the one right outside the nesting boxes.

6. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    If your roost isn't high enough above your nesting boxes, they'll roost in the boxes. Try moving your roost up a few inches. I was having the same problem and from advice from here, moved my roost up 4" and low and behold, they roosted on the roost and not the nesting boxes!

7. ginger c.

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:The roost outside the nesting boxes is about 3-4" higher than the nests. In the morning, they'll be on that or the lower roosts. But when they first get in they fight over a box. The funny thing is... it isn't always the same box. Sometimes they want #1 sometimes #2.

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2!

9. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    ginger c. :

Quote:The roost outside the nesting boxes is about 3-4" higher than the nests. In the morning, they'll be on that or the lower roosts. But when they first get in they fight over a box. The funny thing is... it isn't always the same box. Sometimes they want #1 sometimes #2.

That's about how much higher mine was before I raised it. And yes, they all use the same nesting box to lay.​

10. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    [​IMG] Mine do the same thing!! All 7 of them cram into one box (the little ones still sleep in a pile in the corner). I have a roost on the opposite side of the coop, and 5 boxes, still they pile in! I'm going to block the boxes in a day or two. If it works I'll let you know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by