Cramps in Bones???anyone get them?

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Hi all,
Ive had excruciating cramps lately in my left ankle and foot.
The cramp doesnt feel like a normal muscular one.
It actually contorts my whole foot out to the left and twists my ankle too.
I scream into my pillow so as not to wake the household and the roosters.
My veins are really swollen up on that foot too.
Its a public holiday here so its hard to find a Dr.
does anyone else here have MS and does it give these types of cramps?
Im using a stick today as the foot is sooooo sore.
I dont know what im asking for here, any Drs on board???
I have never had such brutal attacks before now.
Maybe I will go up to the hospital and have a chat with someone.

Sounds like what everyone around here calls "charlie horses" (I have no idea where it came from!)
Have you tried increasing your potassium?

I don't have MS, but I have issues with absorbing vitamins/minerals and am currently getting weekly iron infusions for severe anemia. I have severe cramping in my feet, ankles, calves, and sometimes thighs. Also in my hands, but not very often.
there have been a few times when I have had such bad spasms that it contorted my foot and ankle. (Once with my hand) It was like watching someone else's body part because I had no control over it!
I completely understand the horrible agony you are in, you poor thing!! Do you take any type of muscle relaxers, like Baclofen??

thanks, I may be low in iron etc as Im vegetarian but i have been for years.
I should start back on baclofen, theres a few things that Dr has prescribed and they seem to make me drowsy which isnt good when im guiding my 9 year old.
I just strapped the foot up with a wide elastic bandage so I could go out and rake up some pears that the cockatoos have dropped.
The foot feels good now, I also put some tiger balm on and took a baclofen tab.
Hopefully ill have a scream free night.
Yes its weird to watch these spasms in action when your hand or foot does its own thing.

I am so sorry to hear about your pain. I also have those problems. Are you taking a Magnesium suppliment? Magnesiem is a natural muscle relaxer, helps the body regulate water, and is needed for proper nerve and muscle function. Try taking about 500mg at bedtime, to start, and you can slowly increase to about 1000mg. Most people will settle around 750mg, but it all depends on your body and the quality of magnesium. Also make sure you are taking a calcium suppliment, too. They work together. Good luck!

The best thing to relieve the cramp while it is happening, is to carefully stand up and put weight on the foot. It's hard, but the weight will force the foot back into normal position. Hold it there with weight on your foot until the spasm subsides.

This is a pretty common problem. I bet if you do an internet search, you can find out what supplements would be helpful...or check with your doctor.

I sure sympathize--leg cramps are excrutiating!

Sooo sorry Bantymum!

My mom used to get cramps in her legs a lot and it was determined she needed more potassium. She started eating a lot of bananas (which are loaded with potassium) and that really seemed to help her. So chow down on some nanners! Mmmmm, I'm imagining a peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich right now.....

Back
Top Bottom