Crap have I messed up ?

tripleccc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
When I started building my coop I jumped in it so here's the problem or is it a problem ?
I built my laying nest over where Im going to have to build the roost now is this going to be a problem, because I'm hearing it should be just the opposite or is it any help out there ?

I don't know if it's a"problem" but you may have some trouble with the hens roosting in the box which means you will have to replace the nesting material often.

Mine like to roost on the highest spot. If my nests were higher, my girls would roost in the nests (pooping all night in them). If you have the ability to switch it around, I would.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4 chickens like to roost in the highest spot, best to change or rearrange it if you can.

images

You can train them to roost in the spot you want them in. At least I did. My birds are of heavy breeds. And my roost bar is only a foot or so off the floor of the coop. But I have shelves, benches and the top of the nest boxes are much higher than my roost bar. So when I moved the birds into the new coop, I went up at dusk and got them on the roost bar with the light on in the coop. When I turned out the light, it was too dark for them to get off the roost bar. I did this for a while until I was sure they would not want to roost some place else. I have NEVER found then anywhere but on the roost bar.

Good luck with your birds!

welcome-byc.gif
Also if any of your hens go broody, you wouldn't want the nest box so high. The babies could likely fall out and wouldn't stand a chance from that height.

Back
Top Bottom