1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crap have I messed up ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tripleccc, Jan 30, 2014.

1. tripleccc

tripleccc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    When I started building my coop I jumped in it so here's the problem or is it a problem ?
    I built my laying nest over where Im going to have to build the roost now is this going to be a problem, because I'm hearing it should be just the opposite or is it any help out there ?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I don't know if it's a"problem" but you may have some trouble with the hens roosting in the box which means you will have to replace the nesting material often.

3. boxofpens

boxofpens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Texas
    Mine like to roost on the highest spot. If my nests were higher, my girls would roost in the nests (pooping all night in them). If you have the ability to switch it around, I would.

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Ditto

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4 chickens like to roost in the highest spot, best to change or rearrange it if you can.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You can train them to roost in the spot you want them in. At least I did. My birds are of heavy breeds. And my roost bar is only a foot or so off the floor of the coop. But I have shelves, benches and the top of the nest boxes are much higher than my roost bar. So when I moved the birds into the new coop, I went up at dusk and got them on the roost bar with the light on in the coop. When I turned out the light, it was too dark for them to get off the roost bar. I did this for a while until I was sure they would not want to roost some place else. I have NEVER found then anywhere but on the roost bar.

Good luck with your birds!

7. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    [​IMG]

Most will roost high. It would be great to see what you have built (pictures. pictures). Good Luck.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

I try to have the roosting area away from the nesting area [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Also if any of your hens go broody, you wouldn't want the nest box so high. The babies could likely fall out and wouldn't stand a chance from that height.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by