crash course on sexing 1 month old silkies please - Pics Added

that's what I meant, just wider overall. I don't know a whole lot about silkies, or the standard. Just basics
smile.png

Unless they are poor quality you will be hard pressed to distinguish male from female at that age. I consider myself very experienced with Silkies and would not buy chicks at that age as sexed chicks.

Quote:
they aren't sexed --- but me and my wife are going to pick one out --- i just want us to have the greatest chance as possible to get a pullet instead of a roo

the more i can learn about how the different sexes present themselves ... the more likely i will be to grab a female instead of a male

.... wish me luck
smile.png

I have 21 Silky chicks that are just over a week old now. I would love to be able to sex them as well, but it sounds like I am barking up a tree.

All 21 come from one White Silky rooster and two Silky hens, one is bearded and one is not. What I do find interesting is that several of the chicks are partially colored, with what appears to be a couple of partridge colored chicks and some black or gray colored chicks as well.

I will try to add some pics of them and the parents.

Peek-A-Boo!

30952_garden_172.jpg

Here is a pic of the roo and one hen...

30952_garden_160.jpg

The other hen with some chicks...

30952_garden_169.jpg

Okay, now with a LOT of chicks! (From 3 to 21 of them... sort of freaked her out the next day... "How in the heck???" LOL)

30952_garden_183.jpg

Just some chick pics...

In this last pic, the chicks were only a day or two old on average.

30952_garden_124.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
on the phone they said $10 each .... once i got there they said $6 each ... all in all i think it was a fair price

-------------------------

got them back --- they were pretty dirty -- gave them a quick bath and washed the poop off of them and the puffed up nicely.

they are roughly the same size as my other chickens. wife couldn't get just one -- so she got 2

they are inside the coop with the lid of the coop up

i have a small piece of plywood that spans across 2 dowel rods ... they are sitting on the plywood

Silkie #1 - unamed

Silkie1.jpg

Silkie #2 - unamed

Silkie2.jpg

on the phone they said $10 each .... once i got there they said $6 each ... all in all i think it was a fair price

-------------------------

got them back --- they were pretty dirty -- gave them a quick bath and washed the poop off of them and the puffed up nicely.

they are roughly the same size as my other chickens. wife couldn't get just one -- so she got 2

they are inside the coop with the lid of the coop up

i have a small piece of plywood that spans across 2 dowel rods ... they are sitting on the plywood

Silkie #1 - unamed

Silkie1.jpg

Silkie #2 - unamed

Silkie2.jpg
They are so cute, I have some silkies due to hatch soon!

I have one baby silkie it's 3 weeks old but because it's alone I can't compare the sexing of it with other silkie chicks . Is it possible to see it by looking at the feathers any help would be appreciated this baby was the only one that hatched successfully out of the 4 eggs I incubated

Attachments

• 20171211_151313.jpg
    20171211_151313.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20171211_151148.jpg
    20171211_151148.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20171211_151126.jpg
    20171211_151126.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Back