crazy CANNIBAL chickens ate most of my rooster's butt!

You can get a spray from the feed store to spray on wounds to kill maggots. I can't remember the name, but it is for screwworm infestations. Works really well.

I just culled him as he couldn't stand and seemed in pain.

The day I went to the feedstore they didn't have anything except horse spray and what they sold me. I should have used horse spray.

The maggot remedy is KRS. It comes in an aerosol can. It is a good product to keep on hand. Just spray on the affected area and the maggots are dead.

I heard from someone that blood is used un the pellets to account for the protein. Has anyone ever heard of that? I wonder if the birds get a taste for blood from that. I had a hen with bumblefoot and I soaked it and lanced it while I was outside and my two little banties that refuse to be in the pen came running over and jumped up in my lap instantly. They were about 20 feet away when I made the cut in the chickens foot and they knew there was blood.
I know they are very influenced by eachother, I am so sorry that happened to you. It sounds so upetting but not very common,. don;t give up.

I don't know that much about chickens, but, maggots are a good thing on people! I was a Army Aviator, H60 Blackhawk and UH1 Huey. The training I had included emergency survival medicine. If we had a wound that showed signs of infection, but we had no meds, the Army said the flys will make maggots and the maggots will clean the wound but will not eat living flesh. Only the dead flesh and puss! Then drop off! Years latter I saw the same thing on the movie "Gladiator" with Russel Crow.
But You don't want the Bott Fly! Thats another problem you don't want to know about!

You're not an idiot. You tried to save your roo when many others wouldn't have even given a chance. It was a noble decision to cull him when you felt that you could no longer deal with his wound care. I used to work at a vet hospital and I recall that many people would assume just "letting an animal die" rather than ending their suffering. Ending suffering is our duty as capable beings that have thumbs and technology.

I doubt very much it is another chicken. I'll read your post again. I am in Carson City and something ate the craw and breast from two of my chickens last night. Keep in touch. Chickens have a way of healing that you wouldn't believe. Letting NATURE take it's course is, in my opinion, the ONLY method of caring for NATURE things. Wishing you only best with love, v

A cat got a baby chick (years ago) and tore open its side to expose the breast. My dad said "cull it" but I didn't, I slathered it with honey and the chick grew up to be one of the most productive eggers I'd had. Letting NATURE take care of it (I do add warm light to my coop . . . just call me "Mother Nature's Helper" eh?

Back
Top Bottom