Crazy cream Legbar cockerel

ChickenGal247

Chirping
Nov 29, 2020
I’m looking for some advice on how to “tame” a cockerel I just got from a friend. He doesn’t appear to have been handled very often and I know they live a free-range lifestyle. My friend has 6 other cockerels (all raised together) she’s trying to rehome and I was helping her identify the breeds. When I saw him in a photo it was a “had to have him” moment. He’s beautiful. But... he’s crazy! When I picked him up today I quickly realized this. Is there hope for his temperament? He’s being housed in a large dog kennel while I treat him for mites so I’m hoping I can take this opportunity to build some trust with him. I plan on breeding Legbars but now I’m hesitant to use him. Help!

Edit: By crazy I mean he’s terrified of me looking at, walking by, being near or touching him. He’s incredibly flighty. He pecked me the first time I picked him up but he hasn’t shown any signs of aggression.

Last edited:
This is the only photo I have of him right now. He was too worked up for me to even think about trying to take my own tonight.

Attachments

• C010EE05-7406-4DE0-9DC6-B262607DC5EA.jpeg
    C010EE05-7406-4DE0-9DC6-B262607DC5EA.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 33
I’m not an expert on taming adult roos, but maybe try holding him and petting him (mind you, I once had a roo who would STILL try to attack me when I picked him up :hmm).

Another time, we had an aggressive neighborhood EE roo who terrorized everyone. One day I decided to put an end to it and confronted him. He made some nice gashes on my legs but I didn’t back down and reached down to pick him up. I held him for a bit and petted him, then set him down. Next time I encountered him he ran towards me then stopped short, tilting his head to look at me. I said, “That’s right. I’m not afraid of you and I’m bigger and stronger, too.” He never tried to attack me after that.

If you’re hoping to just encourage him to see you as the alpha, that might work. I guess it all depends on how ‘crazy’ your boy is. Good luck!

P.S. If he’s still young (under a year or so) he might just be hormonal. My Eddie (7 mo old Olive Egger) thinks every time I reach for him I’m another roo challenging him to fight. But he’s fine most of the time and I hold him and pet him lots. I’m sure he’ll calm down by this time next year ;).

Why is his tail down? I wonder??

I wondered that too. At first I thought (and hoped haha) it could’ve just been an action photo of him running away, but now I think it’s more likely due to the mites. I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on that.

I have a cockerel that literally screams when you try to pick him up. Sometimes I reach out and touch him mid crow for entertainment. He's not afraid of me, and I love him to death, he just hates being picked up. He has sat on my lap for long periods of time enjoying himself. Sat on the porch railing for an entire afternoon once just observing the strange humans, even flew over to sit on my lap. He's odd.

I’m not an expert on taming adult roos, but maybe try holding him and petting him (mind you, I once had a roo who would STILL try to attack me when I picked him up :hmm).

Another time, we had an aggressive neighborhood EE roo who terrorized everyone. One day I decided to put an end to it and confronted him. He made some nice gashes on my legs but I didn’t back down and reached down to pick him up. I held him for a bit and petted him, then set him down. Next time I encountered him he ran towards me then stopped short, tilting his head to look at me. I said, “That’s right. I’m not afraid of you and I’m bigger and stronger, too.” He never tried to attack me after that.

If you’re hoping to just encourage him to see you as the alpha, that might work. I guess it all depends on how ‘crazy’ your boy is. Good luck!

P.S. If he’s still young (under a year or so) he might just be hormonal. My Eddie (7 mo old Olive Egger) thinks every time I reach for him I’m another roo challenging him to fight. But he’s fine most of the time and I hold him and pet him lots. I’m sure he’ll calm down by this time next year ;).

That’s awesome you were able to fend off the rooster! We had a rooster who liked to sneak attack when my back was turned, lol. He got the message when I stood my ground and learned to respect my space. His protective nature saved our flock from a fox. Sadly he passed year this year (heart disease) but he’s still one of our favorite roosters we’ve ever had.

Anyways, the notion of the “other roo” challenging my crazy Legbar actually makes a lot of sense. He was low in the pecking order in a flock with 6 other cockerels so that could explain why he’s acting so erratic. I’m relieved there’s hope! I’ll start working with him and hope he gains some confidence. Thank you for your insight!

Back
Top Bottom