Crazy gun toting neighbour and his dogs

I had another neighbor who had all these goats and sheep and a horse and didn't live at the property and didn't take care of them. He didn't have good fences, either, and would let them run on our property. We called animal control so many times, but he didn't do anything. So for several months, when they'd run over to my place, I'd wait and catch them and trap them in the coop and call animal control and they'd take them away. Eventually, I'd caught and delivered all, like, thirty of them to animal control. He got so many citations for not taking care of them but didn't do anything. He never seemed upset that I had caught and taken all his animals away.

I'm sorry. There's no way in hell I wouldn't be calling the cops. If he retaliates, it's only going to make things worse for himself.

As far as his dogs, he gets one warning. Then he gets them back feet first.
See, this is how I want to react. But the building we’re moving into isn’t approved, so we risk losing our home if he knows it was us calling or taking any other action

Has anyone ACTUALLY talked to him in the past to determine he's psycho? I mean I shoot guns all the time and im not psycho. At least I dont think i am. Or am I? I'll talk it over with myself and decide later.

Allowing the dogs to run loose is irresponsible and dangerous. If this is the case, call your local law enforcement agency and notify them immediately. Let them handle the confrontation. If he harasses you afterwards, contact the agent again. I usually do not push litigation but if thats what's necessary to keep your loved ones and property safe, so be it.
Nah he’s definitely crazy.. other neighbours have asked him to keep his dogs on his property and asked him to stop shooting (that I really don’t mind it’s more that he’s a nut job.. wish I could have a gun out here, I love to shoot but have to wait til I’m a permanent resident to apply for a rural gun lisence) and he basically tells them to shove it, and apparently in an aggressive manner. I’ve decided on buying a solar electric fence to line my chook run and a small yard for us. But if the dogs keep coming over, I’ll probably make an anonymous call.. it’s just, we all have big lots of acreage, so if someone calls... he’ll narrow it down pretty quickly

See, this is how I want to react. But the building we’re moving into isn’t approved, so we risk losing our home if he knows it was us calling or taking any other action

Wouldn't change my mind. I'd be calling the cops. What's to say you don't get found out weather or not you say anything.

2nd. Now you've got critters to take care of. If you get found out, what happens to them? Lot more to think about then yourself in this picture.
Maybe wait until you find something legal and stable.

depends where you live, i guess,

and for us here in Canada as long as its safe and legal to dispatch a gun we can legally shoot (non-restricted guns only) on private property, keeping in mind the words safe and legal. quite often we hear some shooting.

gets more complicated on crown land and then each province views it differently from my knowledge. on poaching versus target.

but on topic, not sure your laws regarding gun's, but just because some on likes shooting guns does not mean there crazy, yet there are crazy people out there. just saying.
Totally hear you.. I’m originally from California. My uncle was in the FBI and then a Sheriff in LA. I thoroughly enjoy shooting, and I don’t even mind it.. but this guys confirmed nuts from other neighbours and her family.. in fact, the dogs probably come to our property because he’s constantly yelling at them lol

Good fences make good neighbors. -Robert Frost
old war veteran who is literally bonkers
FWIW, I'm going to suggest you reframe the problem. I know damaged veterans who wreak havoc. The moral injury they have suffered leaves them unmoored. They don't experience a sense of safety that most take for granted. He's shooting to protect himself from danger. Same with the dogs. His group. His protection.

I'm not suggesting he needs a cuddle. He's dangerous. I'm suggesting strong, non-threatening, non-hostile boundaries. If you choose confrontation, you will lose. He knows confrontation better than you. He feels at home in it.

Also, don't call the cops. They usually side with the veteran. Shockingly so.

You might check to see if someone, usually cops, does 'welfare checks' for veterans. If they do, they might check on his living conditions, get him access to veteran programs... If you go that route, tell them you're concerned about retaliation. They may be able to make the check seem routine rather than a response to a report.

Not sure of your location, but check your local dog laws and if it's legal, I would shoot the dogs, and if you fear retaluation, dispose of the bodies discreetly. I love animals, and the thought of hurting one is abhorrent, however, that being said, these dogs sound dangerous and you shouldn't have to live in fear on your own property.

First question is why/ what is the neighbor shooting at? There is no country person who would stand up for their dogs killing chickens- their's or neighbors. Seems like city folks moving to the country and not knowing their neighbors or the generally accepted unwritten rules of common sense for dealing with the issues arising in rural areas. Know your neighbors not just your perceptions.

Start setting traps for the dogs, once caught take the dogs to the local council and just tell them you found the dogs roaming free, once your neighbour has to start paying the recovery fee to get his dogs back he will be less inclined to let them roam free.

Back
Top Bottom