Crazy gun toting neighbour and his dogs

DEESCALATE the situation. He’s your neighbor. You can use a battery to electrify your chicken coop. You can use your phone camera to film the morning “fire fight” and visit your local police and request that they visit him and get your safety concerns on the record. Those are thoughtful responses. Yeah, his dogs are trespassing but to shoot them in the butt as your first response? No. You say he’s crazy and you fear retaliation towards your MIL..shoot his dogs? Even w a BB gun..(they are the only living things he’s got contact with?). That’s a last resort...not a first contact. Extend an olive branch. Mail him cookies if you are afraid to confront him face to face w the dogs. You don’t know what you don’t know. You have choices. Good luck.

You only need to let the neighbor know that there is a baby...some balloons —announcing banner — get creative—be friendly (wave). He might just be a lonely old man. But wire up the chicken coop.
He’s definitely that, he’s got family there too, they’re always yelling and shooting and causing commotion, dogs always barking and them back at the dogs.. I wish it were a simple case like that but we’ve got layers to this lol

When we lived in town, a lot of people let their dogs run free at night. The "dog catcher" was part of the local "Good Ol' Boys" club so he'd pick them up when I complained about them harassing my rabbits, but the next night, they'd be back. I finally got out my pellet gun and started "pinging" the pack leaders in their hind quarters. No injuries, but the "bite" of the pellet gun convinced them to leave my rabbits alone. One of my neighbors here has dogs and has told me right up front that if any of his dogs get on my property, PLEASE hit them with a pellet gun to teach them to stay away. Pellets sting like the dickens but unless it's a tiny dog, they won't really injure the dog. And they're a LOT cheaper than electric fence!!!!!

Good luck, and congrats on the new baby!
Might need to think about that lol and thanks, heaps!

1. He was there first. Its up to you to find some accommodation. Put your preconceived notions aside for a minute, and stop assuming his is an irredeemable horror show. Breath.

2. Drop off a "Hi, I'm your new neighbor" box with baked goods, maybe some jam and a good sized bottle of whisky. Include PICTURES of you and the BABY and your prize BIRDS, and a letter kindly introducing yourselves. And maybe at the end hint you are afraid of the dogs.

3. Let him think on that for two or three weeks and he'll go into solutions mode on his own if you don't push him. Push him and he'll push back.

4. Old guys are like cats. If you run after then, they run away. Sit still and they come to you, slowly.
Unfortunately this doesn’t apply. Her Mum has owned this property for over thirty years. He’s been here less than five. And we lived here before, only moving back because of the current circumstances in the world. His dogs have constantly come over and killed animals. He shoots his gun all day, his kids blast call of duty so loud on surround sound I feel like I’m in ww2 all day from acres away. He already has a problem with my partners Mum and family because they’ve complained about his dogs killing animals and the constant shooting.

Call your local mental health dept and if you make enough complaints they may be able to commit him. Or find his relatives and ask them to intervene. The veterans administration should be able to suggest a direction to get him help to chill out.
If that doesn't work report him as a domestic terrorist! That won't go univestigated. He may need a week mental health evaluation.

Call the mental health department and file multiple complaints, call the VA, and report him as a domestic terrorist???

For what?

Being a war vet, shooting guns every day on 100 acres of his own land, not fencing in his dogs, and for not being a friendly neighbor?

:idunno

Last edited:
My mother used to have a family like this that lived 5 houses up from her. They were the literal definition of backwoods trash. 7 people and 8 dogs living in a 3 bed/1 bath house. Dogs all unaltered, constantly running at large. All family members had a record three counties wide and twice as long. AC and law enforcement knew them by name. We filed no trespassing papers on them and just kept calling AC when their mutts would come try to mess with my mother's dog. Everything was always a bandaid solution however. They finally moved.

I hope you can figure out a plan that works for your family and your birds. I personally would put up privacy fence along his side of the property and then electrify all around the coop and run. If his dogs come over and mess with you or yours, give one hand written warning. If it happens again, give them a dirt nap.

Good luck! Hope you can find some peace anyway.

have you considered that he doesn't actually want the animals but does not know how to do the down sizing himself. Sometimes people deal with a problem by ignoring it.

As that it is now your problem too, maybe go into solutions mode and find new homes for the mob?

Call the mental health department and file multiple complaints, call the VA, and report him as a domestic terrorist???

For what?

Being a war vet, shooting guns every day on 100 acres of his own land, not fencing in his dogs, and for not being a friendly neighbor?

:idunno
Some folks see to have appointed themselves arbitor of what is appropriate to do on ones own land. They need to put their judgement of others in a box and close the lid.

Back
Top Bottom