Crazy over wood shavings?

Ourminizoo2021

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
New to ducks so looking for advice. I have one duckling that made it (will be getting a couple friends for him) and after about a week and a half I decided to change paper towel to wood shavings and he went psycho. I never saw him so crazy I couldn't tell if he was actually eating or just chewing but to be on the safe side I went back to paper towel. Now he's bigger and I'm having to clean his bin like 4x a day. It's insane lol. Do they outgrow this? When he's big enough to go outdoors the shed is full of wood shavings so I don't want him getting sick. I've read that it seems to happen often where ducklings go crazy over wood shavings just don't know if they get over it . Also what else could I use for bedding that would be safe?
Thanks !

Old towels work just shake them outwash and reuse them.[no visible strings they will eat them too]
Some ducklings will eat shaving. I buy the thick flakes when I transition mine from towels to shavings they aren't easy to eat.
Are you keeping food and water down for your duckling 24/7? usually once they know what feed is they aren't as apt to eat the savings you could also try putting a mirror in with your duckling to distract him. They love looking at themselves.

New to ducks so looking for advice. I have one duckling that made it (will be getting a couple friends for him) and after about a week and a half I decided to change paper towel to wood shavings and he went psycho. I never saw him so crazy I couldn't tell if he was actually eating or just chewing but to be on the safe side I went back to paper towel. Now he's bigger and I'm having to clean his bin like 4x a day. It's insane lol. Do they outgrow this? When he's big enough to go outdoors the shed is full of wood shavings so I don't want him getting sick. I've read that it seems to happen often where ducklings go crazy over wood shavings just don't know if they get over it . Also what else could I use for bedding that would be safe?
Thanks !
Good morning
I use puppy pads till 2 weeks then switch to shavings.
They will try to eat them at first and dig in them but it’s never been an issue for me
At the same time as I use shavings I put out grit in case they do eat them
Usually they will spit them bavk in the water dish once they realize it’s not feed
My ducks at 2 weeks would start to eat the puppy pads and that’s when I decided switching around that age is best

Good morning
I use puppy pads till 2 weeks then switch to shavings.
They will try to eat them at first and dig in them but it’s never been an issue for me
At the same time as I use shavings I put out grit in case they do eat them
Usually they will spit them bavk in the water dish once they realize it’s not feed
My ducks at 2 weeks would start to eat the puppy pads and that’s when I decided switching around that age is best
Yeah he kept going to his water some of it would get into the water but I think he ate some of it lol. I wonder since he's alone maybe it was almost like sensory overload and made him crazy

Are you sure he is eating them and not just rooting around for bugs?
Sorry I'm late to reply , just want to give an update.. I put some wood shavings under paper towel and of course he move the paper towel around and wood shavings everywhere but he didn't nibble on any of it ! :DSo think it was just too early to introduce him to it . If ever I get more ducklings I'll definitely wait till they are at least 2 weeks old. Thanks everyone for help and advice :wee

Okay where are the pictures of this little thing? :pop
That's my blue💙 he/she very spoiled lol. I'll have him on me in the evening while we watch tv and he will cuddle up on my chest . I don't know what I'll do when he's ready to be out with the flock 😭 My daughter gave him a little stuffed dog so he wouldn't be so alone and he's obsessed with it 🤣 It needs to be washed but I just can't take it away from him haha

Attachments

• 20220701_102820~2.jpg
    20220701_102820~2.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220701_102906~2.jpg
    20220701_102906~2.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom