Crazy Polish..and a ?

They all look like girls to me, but I'm not sure about them, it may be a week early yet to tell by the crest. Basically it goes like this: If the feathers sort of round over from front to back, it's a girl. If they look more like Bart Simpson, it's a guy. At first though, even the girl's "hair" seems to stick straight up for a while. I had it easy with mine: the one roo already had a comb by 3 weeks
ep.gif
(the comb kind of looks like two little horns)

Quote:
wow, what hatchery did you order from? I have only found them sold in straight run......

anyway, the first looks like a girl to me, the others...not sure. sometimes you have to wait for the feathers to fill in more. hens head feathers are more rounded and roos are spikey...

Last edited:
The are lacking in redness and wattles that I have seen on my Polish boys at that age. However, the top crest looks more like the boys do when they come in. There is not straight in true by judging the top crest until you see it poof into a round ball for the pullets or the streamers (longer, skinnier feathers) coming out of the boys'. They don't hesitate to start crowing early either. I knew my boys out of about a dozen last year because they ALL were crowing by about 2-months. It is hard to tell with just the red light on the two though. Maybe some better pics with a flash or a white light of some kind on them?

Quote:
wow, what hatchery did you order from? I have only found them sold in straight run......

anyway, the first looks like a girl to me, the others...not sure. sometimes you have to wait for the feathers to fill in more. hens head feathers are more rounded and roos are spikey...

Fritata:
I hear ya. I got rid of all of my Polish last year! The girls were fine, the boys were nasty and crazy, flighty birds! The Buffs I got from one place weren't as bad, but the WCBs I got from there were terrible!

You can get them sexed from McMurray. They don't sex any of the bantams, I suppose because they can be injured easily since they are so small. There are probably other hatcheries that will sex them also.

I do have a lovely little Buff Laced pullet about 3-months old out here right now that I got to help keep my single Silkie from a bad hatch company. I also got a nice looking Creveceor that is crowing his head off!
lol.png
They are from Duane Urch and nice looking birds, but I am not planning to keep either of them.

Thanks. I will try to get some better pics up without the red light-probably tomorrow. Don't want to bother the sleeping babes right now!

Hi Just reading through as i have two Polish who are almost 4 weeks old now, one is larger than the other and a deep golden colour but no sign of horns and the other is smaller and paler lovely pearlescent gold colour but already has Bright red horns
sad.png
Do horns at such a young age always mean boys?

thanks

Here is, well was, my favorite chick, Pierogi. 5-6 weeks old. He was my favorite chick.
I don't think I saw his horns til much later.
Recently had to rehome him. He turned super mean protecting his girls, around 18 weeks.
I have 4, 20 wk old Polish girls who are the absolute sweetest. They have no horns or even comb that I can see.

He was going to be beautiful but I couldn't take how ferocious he became.

I was hoping seeing as they are the same age the one with horns would be male and the one without would be female ... Need to be more patient and wait it out i guess
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom