CRD Antibiotic Tylan

jogigharbor

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Noticed one of my hens (tara-Blk copper Maran)with a droopy watery eye a couple weeks ago. She was very lethargic and was sleeping all the time. When I picked her up she was warmer than usual. I kept watch on her and she seemed to be getting better. I Isolated her for a couple days and gave her vancomycin. I also gave the rest of the flock the same for about 7 days. It is useless. My Blk copper Roo had a rattle in his chest and his crow was weak. They were all sneezing. I did some research on the internet and found a lot of info on the efficacy of Tylan. Although it is off label and not "technically" for use in chickens. All the info I found was positive. So I am hopeful this will work. I will be devistated if I loose my flock. I had to order the Tylan from a vet supply store in CA. http://www.calvetsupply.com/ It is not cheap $49.99+ s/h for 100g jar. I had it overnighted fed ex because I wanted to get them started on treatment right away. Dose I used 1 1/8 tsp 2 1/2gal water. Mix in a 1 gal container like an old milk bottle and then add to water. I use room temp water and it dissolves in water completely. I am changing water and adding new dose every other day. There is conflicting info on dosing though. It states on the bottle tx anywhere from 1-3 days or up to 5 depending on severity of sx's. But a lot of my research indicates for symptomatic flock is 7-14 days. I am going to start with 7 days and observe their sx's daily. If I note their sx's are completely resolved by the 7th day I will end tx. But in case of the ladder, I will continue to 14 day tx. I am then planning on using some poultry nutri drench in their water to build up their immune system. Luckily it is spring here in Puget sound WA. It is still a little cold but has been warming up in the afternoon. I let them out in their run if its fairly nice out. But if I think its too windy and cold I am keeping them confined in their house. I hate to do that but its necessary for their health. My flock is spoiled so their house is very clean and they have a lot of room to move around. I will keep you updated on their progress.
Anyone else have any encounters with this?
wink.png

Also, I am assuming that now that they are all carriers of CRD I will not be able to hatch and sell any chicks from this flock? I wouldnt sell anyone else a chick from a carrier flock. Is this correct? I am still fairly new to this. My orig flock started last year with 3 hens. I now have 6 hens and 3 Roos.

Last edited:
Not sure if I just misunderstood or not, but you said you are changing their water with meds every other day? It has to be changed daily with new meds. The sun can decrease the effects of antibiotics, and could make your flock worse.

I suggest Ultimate Vitamins from Foy's Pigeons for every day use. It's an excellent vitamin.

You cannot be sure what they have unless you have them tested, but once you start the antibiotics you do not want to quit until they are completed, but be sure they have fresh water/meds daily. Tylan is recommended for 3-5 days.

I would never keep any bird confined to a coop, they are good judgers of whether they need to go out or not. They do not mind the cold weather, some do not even mind the rain if it's not a down pour. You keep them confined to their coop and they are breathing ammonia and fecal matter, and dust from shavings all day long, it's not good for their respiratory systems. Mine have free access to their run anytime they want. They need lots of Ventilation!

No haven't had to use any antibiotics yet. But hope your flock does well on the Tylan, I would advise that you offer them not only the nutri drench but also some probiotics, like kefir or plain yogurt since the anti. upset good bacteria in the gut. and
welcome-byc.gif
please keep us updated on their recovery

Thank you so much for the feedback. I suspected as much with the confinement issue. I will be sure to open them to their run daily. I was just worried about the draft. Their waterer is not subjected to the sun as it is in their house. We converted a horse stall in a small barn to their current house. My husband is going to install a high quality ventillation fan just waiting for it to be delivered. I am also feeding them plain yogurt daily. As well as some other treats like sunflower seeds and suet. Even if they are still showing sx's I should d/c after 5 days??

Regardless of whether the waterer's are in the sun or not, I am still going to recommend that it be changed every day. If they are not drinking all of it, then mix half of what you are mixing, then you don't have any waste. If your giving them 2 gallons a day and they have a gallon left, then only give them one gallon a day.

Chickens require fresh water every day. You have to think about it this way. If you pour yourself a glass of water and it sets out all night, are you going to drink it the next day? I know I wouldn't.

It could be something other than CRD. It would take tests to be certain of that. Tylan is a good antibiotic to try for this at this point. You are correct though, that if your birds do survive they will likely be carriers of this respiratory illness. Most of them do this. If you have a bird die, the best thing you can do is locate your state veterinarian and have a necropsy done to find out exactly what you are dealing with. Some people would suggest culling your sick birds, but that is a difficult and very personal decision. We had ILT in our flock and could not cull (too distressing) so we are now keeping a closed flock. We do add birds after vaccinating them and keeping them isolated in the basement until they become immune. It can get exspensive and time consuming, but that is the path we chose. We are always taking a chance we might spread it to new birds before they can be vaccinated, so we always have that worry. I hope your birds get better for you. This is all wicked hard to deal with. Good luck!

How are your birds today? I used tylan powder and my vet told me to get injectable and us that. It was 12.00 and I injected 3 to 5 days and it was great. Hope your birds are well. Keep us posted.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom