Crd? called agr. poultry people

I see - just curious, I've heard of it but wasn't certain where it actually was located. Love your avatar btw.
smile.png

I'm so very sorry to hear your news! Crossed fingers that it's something curable.

I'm glad you had good luck with your state agricultural representative; I had awful luck with mine. I had a few deaths and was so worried, and could not figure out what was wrong with my birds - even took several to the vet, got different DX on each and different meds, and they died anyway. I wanted to have a necropsy done. My local ag rep. told me that it would cost $150. I don't have that kind of money, especially after spending so much on getting several to the vet and meds. the guy said that includes necropsies on up to 6 birds...I told him I'm a backyard chicken owner, and only had 1 bird I wanted a necropsy done on, and would they lower the price? NOPE. Sad.

Anyway, I'm very sorry to hear your news, and I hope you able to figure out what's going on!!
hugs.gif

Quote:
:aww I'm so sorry. If you want to get started again in the Spring, let me know.

Was this Cagles, by any chance? The sucky thing is, any Joe Blow can come sell at the auctions and there's not a ton they can do to control the condition. Darrell Minton comes to randomly test birds coming in there, but not all that often and many weeks they come through from whereever and anything could come through.
sad.png

It's such a crap shoot. :-( Most of the birds I got through there were fine, but I had a few that just like dropped dead the next day or soon after. Very sad and it's hard when the bird looks perfectly healthy to the naked eye and then just...isn't.
sad.png

Last edited:
:-( I used to go there, but haven't in so long. Was hoping when I don't work Saturdays any more, I could go back, but doesn't look like that's such a good idea. *sigh* Sadly, any time you bring live birds in to a flock, you're taking a risk. A friend of mine ONLY brings in eggs after having a problem and losing one of his favorite chickens after it got sick from a bird someone gave or sold him. I wish I could be as firm in that as he is!

I called Cagles and he said he was not aware of any sick chicks having come through there and I gave him the lot no. at the time. I have never heard from him since.
I won't go back although at the time it was really fun.
It probably was not his fault. they just kept bringing in chicks. Ducks goats etc.
The ag guy said if it was him he would kill the two brahma and start afresh.
Thanks everyone but I have already talked to speckled hen and she is going to hatch me some Delawares. We hope. jean

I was wanting to go to the auction sometime just to look at what's out there in my local area. The prob is that I know I'd want to take some home w/ me. We already have 40 (36 hens & 4 roos) and that's plenty for us rt now.
D.gif
Guess I won't go there after all. Where are you located asher?

Quote:
:aww Well, he knows it now. They can look it up and find out the seller. They will have to if the AG guy gets hold of them, guran-darn-tee it.

TaLani ~ I am in McDowell County, about 1hr15m from Cagle's. I used to take my aunt there every weekend, but I started working every Saturday as of 7mths ago so haven't been in that long.

I don't have anything spare right now (other than some polish bantam roos! heh), but am sure by Spring, I definitely will!

We need to start doing some more Western chicken meet ups. Auction Eddie used to coordinate them in Asheville, but sadly passed away and we haven't done any since then.

Quote:
I don's know Jean, I'd hunt around on the forum & see which meds might help your remaining chicks since plenty of people on the forum have dealt w/ sick chickens & they recover just fine. It's worth a try in my opinion. Hope you enjoy your new babies from speckled hen when they arrive.
smile.png
I suppose Cagles can't do too much if the chicks seem okay on the day of the sale though.
idunno.gif
Take care Jean.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom