CRD help please?

EssleyJane

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

Can anyone please help with some problems I'm having?

I have a flock of five hens and one rooster. All are about 8 or 9 months old. We live in rural Borneo, so medication is quite hard to come by, and there isn't a vets that can deal with poultry.

Just recently, I noticed that the rooster was sitting down a lot, and sleeping for most of the day. But he was still eating and drinking normally, and there was nothing visibly wrong with him - we treated for worms, lice, mites, checked his skin, feathers, vent, feet and all were fine with no signs of anything amiss. The only thing we could see was a small amount of gunk in one eye, which we cleaned. For about a week, until I could get into the capital to get some medicine, I fed him (in addition to his normal feed) porridge, milk, scrambled eggs, and he ate with enthusiam. I got some Terramycin and the whole flock has been on it for almost five days now with no visible signs of improvement. I am using 1 teaspoon of powder per gallon of water. This medication also has added vitamins, and their food pellets also have added vitamins too.

Over the past couple of days, I notice that he has been very unsteady on his feet. He will try to walk but stagger, and then eventually give up and sit down. Also, this morning, we cleaned his eye again and got a large lump of goop out of it. I looked online at causes of the staggering and I notice that the main cause people suggest is either weakness due to vitamin deficiency, or a bacterial/viral infection. He's getting lots of vitamins from the medication and also from the feed, so surely it's not that? But his eye suggests that there is an underlying infection somewhere, so perhaps he is weak from fighting that? He eats well, but sits down next to the food bowl to eat. He no longer jumps up to the perch to sleep, he sits down on the ground in the coop.

In addition to the rooster issues, we also have one hen that is coughing. Other than the cough, she is normal - running around, scratching at the ground, walking fine and eating and drinking. No runny nose/eyes and she's not coughing up anything.

I have disinfected the whole coop, but we are unable to seperate the two sick birds. I don't think I can get Tylan out here, I asked at the shop where I got the Terramycin and they didn't have it. As far as I know, that's the only place that would sell such things.

Can anybody offer any advice? I want to try my best to help him get better.

Thank you
smile.png

This sounds tricky....I'm not sure I can help but I will tell you what I would do. Continue with the Terramycin in the water for the recommended number of days. Get some Terramycin eye ointment to apply directly to the eye. Until you get the eye ointment and in between applications cleans the eye gently with a soft cotton ball soaked in contact lens storage solution. Make sure the cotton ball is wet. Rub the eye gently and then using a fresh cotton ball and fresh solution wipe the eye again. Do at least 3 times.

The eye might bubble a little because the solution has a mild peroxide ingredient but that's O.K. It will kill germs and sooth the roosters eye. Follow with the ointment as soon as you can get it. Clean 3 or 4 times for the first few days and then 2 times a day when you get the ointment.

I wish I could help with the staggering and sitting on his rump. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will contribute or the Terramycin will finally take affect.

Sending good thoughts your way;)

Back
Top Bottom