1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cream Brabanters-Consider them for your next breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Solsken Farm, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I got these by chance, on here in early July. Someone had three they wanted to rehome. For free. They were supposed to be three roos. Turned out to be a trio. I love them, the kids love them, our guests love them. They never cease to to crack us up. And they are beautiful lawn ornaments.

Don't ask me about their eggs. They still haven't laid any. They were hatched May 15th, so anytime. But their eggs are white, which is good, so we'll have eggs to dye for Easter.

And the neat thing is that the cream gene and the spangles can be used for some neat breeding projects. They are in with some of our EEs and Ameraucanas. Should be an intersting mix of babies.

We think they are beautiful and special. [​IMG]

Hans Peter (the kids call him Elvis)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The girls, Sophie and Neve
    [​IMG]

Hanging with their peeps around dried corn on the cob we picked from the fields today
    [​IMG]

Hans had very poor pencil markings and was very dark. I thought he was going to be incorrect colorwise, but he is really shaping up to be beautiful, I think, but I'm biased.
    [​IMG]

I am a sucker for speckles. Thanks for looking.

2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Those are really goofy, cool looking birds! I like them. I assume they are not bantams?
    Are they quiet or noisy birds?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  3. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    WOW!!!
    They're amazing! I love them. [​IMG]

4. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    Oh, they're gorgeous! Next time you're in WA, would you drop a couple off for me? [​IMG]

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Well Hi! I am Da MAMA! (kinda!) So glad you like them- aren't they cool? We must find a breeder to improve the strain! I will be looking for show eggs to hatch. My hens still aren't laying! I have added some artificial light to the coop.

[​IMG]

6. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Their topknots turned out different from the parents-theirs are solid black. Cute hair!

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ooh, they are pretty. Now you need some appenzeller spitzhauben to go with them [​IMG] . I just happen to have some.......

8. banter

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Here is dad, Saturn-very different!

[​IMG]

9. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    You have nice birds. Good color and everything.
    My rooster is not very good, but he is the only one I have. I might order some gold ones in the spring and hope to get a nicer roo for them. I also have a very small hen who has slightly bent legs. I have read that the gene pool for Brabanters is very small so that might be why mine are not so good. Also, I got them from Ideal. I have not found a private breeder yet who does not have Ideal related stock.
    These were hatched June 16th. I have a roo and 5 hens. Lucked out on that one. I ordered 6 and one died.

Spike the roo. Please excuse is stubby tail. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The girls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh Banter! Saturn is great! Alot of the coloring is similar except Hans has tons more topping. [​IMG] Those horns are a hoot! Yes, the girls have great colorful poofs too. I am sorry yours still aren't laying. My banty that had stopped just started up again, bless her little heart.

Loren, thanks for sharing your pictures! What happened to your boys tail?

I was told that most of the breeders have their birds from Ideal and they work the breed from there. Alledgely there are some private breeders that may have some imported stock but they won't surface for some reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by