Cream (ig) WITHOUT barring

pinewoodacres

Songster
Oct 2, 2021
Levy County, Florida
Has anybody seen this?

The chicken calculator has cream + mahogany = buff, which I would be interested to see. I had this guy in my hatch from earlier this year who appears to have two cream genes and only a single barring gene - his mother is not barred and dad is single barred. There are Cream Legbars in the initial pairings and backcrosses.

I’m going to breed him back to his mother and see what happens, but I’m curious if anybody has seen this and if it would even show on an unbarred chicken of either sex. I’m not sure if either have mahogany so that’s secondary but I’m really curious about double cream on an unbarred bird. He looks so different from any of the other single barred guys which clearly do not have a double dose of ig; the lemony color is very close to a Legbar’s.

E6ED88CA-1C54-42C9-9976-D1E9E9C4CF47.jpeg

I’m gonna go ahead and be honest, visually, I don’t know the difference between Di and ig, so I couldn’t tell you if these birds are one thing or another. I just know they produce similar, lemon colored results. Di is dominant though, and ig has been said to be recessive? It functions as recessive on the calculator, at least. A single dose of ig would produce no result, but the double dose would show the dilution effect the gene has. Di, I figure, has an effect even in heterozygous form. Without barring, the cream appearance tends to be a very even lighter yellow, it’s a pretty color. I believe S/s+ also looks a lot like this, which is how Golden pheonixes arose in the US, that or they’re silver with mahogany, heck if I know. Lemon sebrights could be made the same way in the US. It doesn’t breed true.

These are the photos. I, again, don’t know what gene exactly is making their color, but they do have the creamy, lemon-like coloring I think you’re wanting to see though. Neither picture is mine, they’re from a pretty cool page on FB. Both have patterning, sorry, but it’s the closest example I’ve got saved of what cream looks like on an unbarred bird.
5E0D8C98-D4E2-4CB2-8339-D83CB9763146.jpeg
A35A73F3-BF88-4961-BF1F-DD2148776DCE.jpeg

Golden Duckwing pheonix. Probably closer to the pattern you’re wanting to see, since he’s an actual Duckwing, not laced or having pattern restrictors going on. Not my photo either.
97B6B520-5B10-48FD-9383-B70DC384150C.jpeg

Thank you! The Phoenix is definitely how I would think the boys would look without barring, great pic.
So, thinking about it more, the females would really only be affected in the hackle, so I guess they’d look like my normal wild type ladies but with a lemony hackle. Could be cool since I have some hypermelanation playing into it, too.

Sorry for the messed up edit, I had started replying yesterday and wanted to think more before posting, but forgot this forum keeps it even when you navigate away. I removed that and it messed the whole thing up. Whoops. I cannot for the life of me remove the quoted part, which was my own reply.

Back
Top Bottom