Cream legbar acting sick

It does look like a partial prolapse in your last picture, but it is blurry. Did it go back inside during her bath? If she is very weak, I would not bathe her, since that is hard on them and could push her over the edge. Does the vent leakage look like egg matter or just mucus and poop?
It literally looks like marshmallow creme you would buy in a store. As far as I can tell she hasn’t pooped in 24 hours. She won’t take any water.

You may want to give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet now in case she is having problems with an egg, and to help the prolapse. Tums will help in a pinch.
I do have Tums - would I crush it up and mix with water in a little eye dropper and force feed her?

Well, she won’t let me force water with a syringe. I massaged the vent area liberally with olive oil. The liquid coming out is milky white tinged with blood. She scratches in the dirt briefly then she closes her eyes and bears down but nothing happens. I know she’s in pain. So heartbreaking.

Just have her swallow the Tums, or cut it in 2 by putting it into the back of her beak. Most chickens can swallow a mouse whole, so they can swallow tablets. If you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent, can you feel anything? If you hold a cup or small can of water up to her beak with she swallow some on her own? You can try dipping the beak for a second. Does her vent still seem partially open?

Update: she had been in terrible lain for 24 hours. I took her to the vet who doesn’t treat chickens but was willing to euthanize her humanely. So sad, but not as sad as watching her suffer so much. thank you to everyone who tried to help me with this problem.

Very sorry for your loss. Glad your vet could assist you. When I lose a chicken, if I am able I usually perform a brief necropsy to look at her abdominal organs, her gizzard, and crop, and look for any worms in the intestines. It is not something everyone wants to do, but I have learned a lot about the common illnesses. If you ever want to do that, pictures of the organs can be posted here, and others may have comments. I have seen various reproductive disorders p, discovered water belly, and cancer.

Back
Top Bottom