Cream legbar acting sick

Hard to know if it is worms or a reproductive problem or other thing, but worming could treat that possibility. Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally once an age in in 10 days is good. Or you can give SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days.
Is worming something that should be done on a regular basis?

Some people worm depending on their climate, once or twice a year, while others in tropical climates, worm even more frequently. If a local vet (call first) would let you bring in a stool sample in a ziploc bag, you could get them to do a fecal float look for coccidiosis and worms.

If I have a hen who seems sick and the cause is unkown, that is one thing I would rule out.

Something different is happening. She has a flow of something whitish-yellow coming from the oviduct. It wasn’t there last night. It looks stuck on the fewthers

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0447.jpeg
    IMG_0447.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 1
one of my mom's creams crested leg bar hens do the same exact thing. She had prolapsed. I had to doctor her in the bathtub using warm water and witch hazel. She ended up being fine after a week. (my mom's chickens).

I gave her a warm bath which cleaned off some of the white good from her feathers. I had seoarated her yesterday and I searched the pen for poop this morning and ciuldn’t find any. She must be so miserable. What would my next step be?

I gave her a warm bath which cleaned off some of the white good from her feathers. I had seoarated her yesterday and I searched the pen for poop this morning and ciuldn’t find any. She must be so miserable. What would my next step be?
She’s not drinking at all and more of the marshmallowey white stuff is leaking out. Sorry for the graphic posts but I know some of you will have had this experience and can help. I so appreciate you all!

It does look like a partial prolapse in your last picture, but it is blurry. Did it go back inside during her bath? If she is very weak, I would not bathe her, since that is hard on them and could push her over the edge. Does the vent leakage look like egg matter or just mucus and poop?

You may want to give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet now in case she is having problems with an egg, and to help the prolapse. Tums will help in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom