Cream legbar acting sick

newtoitall

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2023
One of my Cream Legbars is acting sick today. She’s fluffed up and looking 50% larger than the others. She isn’t eating - not even treats, and she’s very slowly pacing one side of the run. Her tail feathers are horizontal rather than upright like the others. I have no clue what might be wrong. #firstyearchickenmama

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpeg
    IMG_0445.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 80
Whats her diet? Is she laying and has she laid recently?
I had bought a bag of layer feed when my regular feed wasn’t available but i went thru that and went back to their regular feed two days ago. I don’t know if she’s laying because I have 5 of the same breed and don’t know which are laying.

I had bought a bag of layer feed when my regular feed wasn’t available but i went thru that and went back to their regular feed two days ago. I don’t know if she’s laying because I have 5 of the same breed and don’t know which are laying.
Checked what I think was her crop but if I was in the right place it just felt a little pebbly. Her vent looked clean. She’s moving a little more but prefers to stay in the shade wven though it’s only 45 degrees.

Is her tail position up or down? How old is she? Can you scramble an egg, break into bits, and offer her some? A picture or two of her might possibly help. What is the general location?

Checked what I think was her crop but if I was in the right place it just felt a little pebbly. Her vent looked clean. She’s moving a little more but prefers to stay in the shade wven though it’s only 45 degrees.
I separated her from the flock just in case and when I did she took 8 long drinks of water and started pecking at the moistened feed I gave her.

Is her tail position up or down? How old is she? Can you scramble an egg, break into bits, and offer her some? A picture or two of her might possibly help. What is the general location?
Her tail is horizontal. I can offer her some egg.

It’s good she ate and drank for you. Have you wormed her recently? Reproductive infection or disorder or worms, could be a possibility. Does she have any puffy/soft areas around her chest or neck that feel like air under the skin? Does she seem to be afraid of the others, or has she been low in pecking order? Would the others keep her from the food? Do you have a couple of feeders and waterers in case of meek birds?

It’s good she ate and drank for you. Have you wormed her recently? Reproductive infection or disorder or worms, could be a possibility. Does she have any puffy/soft areas around her chest or neck that feel like air under the skin? Does she seem to be afraid of the others, or has she been low in pecking order? Would the others keep her from the food? Do you have a couple of feeders and waterers in case of meek birds?
I’ve never wormed the birds. I didn’t notice any puffy areas. She’s not the lowest in the pecking order but all 5 Cream Legbars seem the “meekest” of the flock of 10. She’s never been kept from eating:drinking with the others. But today she won’t take any feed or eggs from my hand when offered. She seems mostly interested in drinking. Should I get something for worms?

Hard to know if it is worms or a reproductive problem or other thing, but worming could treat that possibility. Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally once an age in in 10 days is good. Or you can give SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days.

Back
Top Bottom