L Home Farm

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
Ireland
I have a cream legbar pullet whose eyes look… odd. She’s absolutely healthy, preening, scratching, pooping, eating, drinking, etc.
But her eyes are a strange shape, and I’ve noticed her blinking a bit and sometimes shaking her head.

I got her & her 4 sisters from a guy who told me they were 10wks. However, 2 are way bigger, redder combs etc. so maybe they are older, or the others are younger? Or are some just not thriving. She is a small pale one. Could it be related? Or am I adding 2 + 2 and getting 22??
TIA…

Heres the pullet
8B4EB0FA-265B-4D9A-9859-09C26FC37445.jpeg

And another pullet to compare
F2F8590C-5594-4810-9E41-1A6ACF0F1BDC.jpeg

The concern you have with the eye is (i'm assuming) ocular mareks. I have never personally dealt with it so I'm just not sure from your photos and what I've read/seen about it so I do not feel comfortable telling you it is or isn't. If she's acting healthy and normal, if it were me I would keep her under observation for any further developments. I hope she is alright and there is nothing wrong!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Oh shoot. How bad is the ocular version? Am I gonna lose all my birds…
Please no…. 😭😭😭😭😭😭 I don’t want my chucks to have Mareks…

I don't know if your bird has it or not. Please don't get too upset. If she is acting normally then just keep an eye on her. I included the article for information only.

I don't know if your bird has it or not. Please don't get too upset. If she is acting normally then just keep an eye on her. I included the article for information only.
That’s ok, sorry I probably sounded quite upset. More despairing, lol. Hopefully they don’t, I’ll continue to watch. If they do, I’ll collect hatching eggs from my rare breeds and start a new flock I guess.

The eyes looks fine to me. Head shaking can be due feather loss, new feathers coming in, external parasites, internal ear issues, gnats etc...
It’s definitely a bit odd, it’s not normal looking… but maybe it’s not related to the shaking etc…

Back
Top Bottom