BerthaBoo

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
Alberta, Canada
I have a pullet (20 weeks old) not laying yet, been panting very heavily for 2 or 3 days now. It’s not hot here so I don’t think it’s heat stroke.
Her poops are normal, crop and body feels normal? No eye swelling or anything weird. Her comb flushes really red and then goes back pale, but she’s not laying yet so idk if that’s why.
I can see some white spots at the far back of her throat?

The entire flock (9 hens, 1 roo) was treated for worms with ivermectin 7 days ago since we had a wormy poop from someone.

She’s separated and in a dark room right now. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 780C753D-9654-4DD4-9B5E-84102B8D9D94.jpeg
    780C753D-9654-4DD4-9B5E-84102B8D9D94.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 129
  • F1C74022-AF17-4944-A03A-45A5A678456E.jpeg
    F1C74022-AF17-4944-A03A-45A5A678456E.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
First, how much ivermectin did you give each bird and how did you give it to them?
Heavy panting can mean that she's stressed or hot. I would not remove her from the flock at all unless they were picking on her because removing her can cause more stress.

What exactly do you feed?
You smell a nasty smell or sour smell coming from her mouth?

First, how much ivermectin did you give each bird and how did you give it to them?
Heavy panting can mean that she's stressed or hot. I would not remove her from the flock at all unless they were picking on her because removing her can cause more stress.

What exactly do you feed?
You smell a nasty smell or sour smell coming from her mouth?
2 drops, on the back of the neck (it’s the pour on). I removed her to monitor her to check her poops since I couldn’t tell how her poops were. Should I bring her back?

They’re on hipro layer feed. No nasty smell from her mouth at all.

Drops of Ivermectin really isn't good for deworming.
It can help for lice but not so much worms anymore.

Do you feed scratch or scraps?

Can you get some Safe-Guard to deworm the flock with?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/merck-animal-health-safe-guard-dewormer-for-goats-125ml

https://www.amazon.com/Merck-Safeguard-Goat-Dewormer-125ml/dp/B01MDQJ6X2

UGGHHH I JUST noticed you are in Canada...I am not sure you can buy this dewormer up there over the counter.
I can only find safeguard paste for horses here... would that work? Everyone I spoke to in my area recommends ivermectin pour on which is why I went for that.

Some scraps from the garden - lettuce, peas, cucumber, kale, saskatoons (I think you guys might call them juneberries?). No scratch, and no meal worms or any other treats lately since they get garden treats

Y
I can only find safeguard paste for horses here... would that work? Everyone I spoke to in my area recommends ivermectin pour on which is why I went for that.

Some scraps from the garden - lettuce, peas, cucumber, kale, saskatoons (I think you guys might call them juneberries?). No scratch, and no meal worms or any other treats lately since they get garden treats
Yes..the horse paste is the same thing.

Be careful with the treats...if you offer them daily it shouldn't be no more than a spoonful worth per bird. Offering more takes away from the bird getting a balanced diet. (The layer feed)
Not getting a balanced diet causes problems that can be prevented.

I have a pullet (20 weeks old) not laying yet, been panting very heavily for 2 or 3 days now. It’s not hot here so I don’t think it’s heat stroke.
Her poops are normal, crop and body feels normal? No eye swelling or anything weird. Her comb flushes really red and then goes back pale, but she’s not laying yet so idk if that’s why.
I can see some white spots at the far back of her throat?

The entire flock (9 hens, 1 roo) was treated for worms with ivermectin 7 days ago since we had a wormy poop from someone.

She’s separated and in a dark room right now. What else can I do?
She might be having trouble getting her first egg out. I would give her calcium 600 + vit D + Vit. K, one tablet each day for 5- 7 consecutive days. Tablets for human use will do just fine.

Just sit her on your lap with her head facing forwards, pull down on her wattles with one hand and slip the tablet into her beak, then instantly letting go of her wattles to allow swallowing.

Y

Yes..the horse paste is the same thing.

Be careful with the treats...if you offer them daily it shouldn't be no more than a spoonful worth per bird. Offering more takes away from the bird getting a balanced diet. (The layer feed)
Not getting a balanced diet causes problems that can be prevented.
okay, thank you! They only get a small random bunch of treats every few days, split between the 10 of them. But I'll make sure to watch in the future, thank you for the advice!

She might be having trouble getting her first egg out. I would give her calcium 600 + vit D + Vit. K, one tablet each day for 5- 7 consecutive days. Tablets for human use will do just fine.

Just sit her on your lap with her head facing forwards, pull down on her wattles with one hand and slip the tablet into her beak, then instantly letting go of her wattles to allow swallowing.

would it work to crush and mix with water to drop into her beak? She has next to no wattles (russian orloff cross) so that might be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom