Cream Legbar/Auto Sexing genetics

HaikuHeritageFarm

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Memphis, TN
I'm curious about the genetics behind the Cream Legbar and other autosexing pure breds. I'm also curious as to why there are none (to my knowledge) currently in the USA, and why they have neither been developed nor imported here. With the immense popularity of the sex-link cross breds, seems like these would be desirable (IE; profitable) breeds for hatcheries and fanciers to have.

Anyone know how one might go about developing an autosexing bird that breeds true? Rumor has it the Legbar is of Leghorn, Barred Rock and Aracauna heritage. What's going on in those DNA strands that makes it work?

Quote:
Yeah, I know that. I just find it incredible that they are the first. Really?! I think I read something about someone working on recreating a strain of these birds in the US. Anyone know anything on that?

I'm more interested in the genetics and how these birds came about than I am in who's importing them.

Quote:
Yeah, I know that. I just find it incredible that they are the first. Really?! I think I read something about someone working on recreating a strain of these birds in the US. Anyone know anything on that?

I'm more interested in the genetics and how these birds came about than I am in who's importing them.

Well, I know onthespot is working on a line of Barred Olive Eggers. They look like Barred Ameraucana that lay a deep olive colored egg.
I believe she's used Cuckoo Marans X Ameraucana or EEs, etc.

Other than that... I don't think there's anything similar.

Quote:
autosexing? Is that term the same as, "sex linked?" There is a sticky at the top of the Breeds, Genetics forum that tells all about this. Maybe that would help ya?
idunno.gif

Quote:
autosexing? Is that term the same as, "sex linked?" There is a sticky at the top of the Breeds, Genetics forum that tells all about this. Maybe that would help ya?
idunno.gif

Nope, different. Autosexing means the sex-linked traits breed true. Sex-link is generally a term for the cross breds.

Why not try one of the easier autosexing breeds?
The Gold Legbar is a breed that can be developed from scratch to purebreed status in 4 generations.
The Gold Legbars I have are the work of another breeder whose best stock I was lucky enough to buy.
I have Brown Leghorn and DBPR eggs in my incubators so I can develop my own line.
I have sought eggs from good, solid, utility type DBPRs but the Brown Leghorn eggs are from show birds.

To Make GOLD LEGBARS:

Brown Leghorn male x Dark Barred Plymouth Rock female
i
,.............................................i.....
i i
black unbarred pullets Black Barred Cockerel x Brown Leghorn female
culled i
......................................................................i.....................................................
i i i i
unbarred brown pullets Barred brown pullets x Barred brown cockerels black cuckerels
culled i culled
i
.......................................................................i.....................................................
i i i i
unbarred pullets Barred brown pullets Pure barred brown cockerels impure barred brown cockerels
culled (Legbars) (Legbars) culled
i i
x x
i i
Pure barred brown cockerels Barred brown pullets
(Legbars) (Legbars)

As I understand it more Gold Legbar pullets can be bred from this point on using one of the new pure Gold legbar roosters over pure Brown Leghorn hens with resulting pullets going back to the pure Gold Legbar rooster. Offspring will be pure Gold Legbar.
I think the Black Barred Cockerel used in step 2 picks up a barring gene from each of his parents giving him 2 of them. This is passed on to male offspring when he is bred to a pullet bearing 1 barring gene. Female offspring get 1 barring gene.

I hope someone on this forum finds all this as interesting as I do and gives the Golds a go.
Cheers.
Rob.

Back
Top Bottom