Cream Legbar Egg Color

Let's see if the color difference is captured in my cheap little camera. I put them on white, may not have been the best as I can see the green reflected in the blue Legbar's.
Then I put a Maran and Swedish Flower egg for contrast.

So, let me know if your CLB egg looks simlar. Mine have been laying now for 4 wks. When they first started they were tiny eggs.
The blue ( at least I think) is in the middle and is the largest egg I have.

I will send you a pic of my Legbar eggs compared to the Isbar. Mine is also Rees line. My batch was from March. How about yours?

Maybe my perception of color is off? But you can hopefully compare with the color you are getting.
I received mine on April Fool's day - guess the joke is on me, huh? I will not be buying from GFF again. This is the 2nd purchase I made from them and it was disappointing, and I'm not picky, I don't think. Even my daughter agrees on this one, and she is more merciful than I!

I buy most of my stock from other hatcheries, and they have been spot-on with the dozens+ of girls/boys I've purchased. Only 1 bird sent was not the breed ordered, and was refunded the amt same day.

The attached pic shows 2 CLB eggs on left and 1 Easter Egger on right. My camera does not pick up greens well (or reds), so it's a sad representation, but at least it gives you SOMETHING to go by. Definitely NOT BLUE :mad:

Last edited:
Nothing came through. :(

Your hens are one month behind mine and actually one month ago mine had just started laying and they
were very small pullet eggs. I also feed, non-gmo, organic pellets. Do you think that could make a difference?
I don't know much, I admit.

Mine lay green eggs too. I was really disappointed. But, fortunately I didn't have to pay for mine. If I paid GFF prices, I would simply be ballistic. Don't worry the egg size will get bigger and they are fantastic layers. I am some what disappointed that the breeders still insist on advertising the breed as being BLUE egg layers.
Our GFF line CLs also have started out with very small eggs. It's been a week or so. I was sort of shocked. They are a baby blue with a hint of green to them. But I also got a plain tan egg. It may have come from one of the two 'packing peanut' hens that were sent but I was told they were Olive Eggers, and they appear to have laid at least one olive egg. Has anyone else had a Cream Legbar lay tan eggs? These appear lighter than they really are but at least it gives an idea.

Posting photos of the three of the eggs.

None of our 5 CLB hens from GFF laid tan eggs. The eggs were all green or olive. I've sold 1/2 the flock, and am working towards the other half ASAP. Big disappointment.

A feature I liked about them was that they are auto sexing, so using them for meat was a consideration. Seeing how small they are doesn't make it worth it, to us anyhow. So, no blue eggs, little chickens, goodbye birds!
I love that they're GREAT foragers, though!

Personally, we will not buy from GFF anymore. Two out of 2 breed purchases were disappointing, and we're not picky people. We just expected to receive what is advertised on their website is all (ESPECIALLY at their prices).

to resurrect an old thread I bought two pullets this spring. They hatched from VERY blue eggs. they are 21 and 21 1/2 weeks old, I also bought a pullet from a different source that hatched from a pale blue (but for sure BLUE) egg

The older hens though come from BLUE eggs and I mean almost Ameraucana blue. One of the older pullets started laying this week and she is laying pale green eggs that are blue in certain lights but more green than blue under most lights. I am a bit disapointed I was sure buying girls who hatched from exceptionally blue eggs would guarantee me blue. If the eggs stay greenish I will not be hatching any chicks from them

Last edited:

Here is what they look like mint green :(

so question. Since all 3 pullets hatched from a real blue egg (the older two from an almost Ameraucana bright blue) Even though the oldest one (only one laying yet) is laying a mint green egg, WILL her offspring lay blue eggs? Because right now I have no intention of hatching any eggs from her as blue eggs, PLUS great crests PLUS good disposition are my primary criteria all else secondary and it is too bad because she is a wonderful girl with good color and a nice crest but I wont tolerate yucky mint green eggs

@rottlady . what did you decide to do- did you breed her? It was 1.5 years ago now, so maybe you wont see this-- but thought I'd ask. I am sort of in a similar boat to you right now......
\

@rottlady . what did you decide to do- did you breed her? It was 1.5 years ago now, so maybe you wont see this-- but thought I'd ask. I am sort of in a similar boat to you right now......
\
We sold off the rest of our flock.
The breed does have 2 nice qualities: auto-sexing, and extremely food efficient. The eggs aren't big, though, and never had a blue one.

Back
Top Bottom