Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I'm no expert but the only one that looks like a cream legbar roo from my hatches is the middle one in the top picture. I've never seen a black one.

I agree, the two black cockerels have gotten some genes from an outside donator.

I think some one mentioned legbar chicks that hatched with fuzz on their legs. The feathers on legs disappeared with maturity.

Were these eggs you bought? Or eggs of your own?

I agree, the two black cockerels have gotten some genes from an outside donator.

I think some one mentioned legbar chicks that hatched with fuzz on their legs. The feathers on legs disappeared with maturity.

Were these eggs you bought? Or eggs of your own?

I bought these eggs from someone who told me they were cream legbar eggs, and they were all blue eggs.

Hi, I need some help here. I just hatched some cream legbar eggs. Two came out black with dots on their heads so I knew those were boys. The third one came out grey/brown with some feathers on the legs, and the head also has a large white patch. The eggs I bought were light blue. I suppose the third chick has some other blood besides cream legbar but I don't know what. Is it still autosexing? Can you tell me if it's a boy or girl? Or too young to tell? Thanks.

Your 2 black ones look just like the black sex links that I've been hatching out of blue eggs. The mamas are CL and the daddy is a Pita Pinta. All of them develop barring as they mature.

Your 2 black ones look just like the black sex links that I've been hatching out of blue eggs. The mamas are CL and the daddy is a Pita Pinta. All of them develop barring as they mature.

I looked up Pita Pinta and saw that they are black with no bars. I think my black chicks are boys and will be barred due to the CL mother. Correct?

I looked up Pita Pinta and saw that they are black with no bars. I think my black chicks are boys and will be barred due to the CL mother. Correct?
That's what I've been hatching! I do have one Barred Rock hen and I kept thinking that I was getting her eggs by mistake! These mixes are for meat and green eggs so it is handy to tell who is a boy. I have one cute little guy who is barred and has a crest! His comb is dark red and he is around 7 weeks old. Cute little dinner bird!

Males will look like a barred dark brahma with some salmon red on the shoulders and straw hackles ( salmon develops as the bird ages). The barring will be poor and zonal ( breast, tail and mid-wings), The amount of red and straw color can vary from none to a diluted salmon phenotype. The barring in the hackles will dilute the hackle color- barring will be very poor. It all depends on the amount of hackle black the males will express if the barring is distinct or blurry.

The females will show indistinct penciling- like a poorly penciled dark brahma.

Body size for male and female should be between CCL and brahma, Combs will be a strange looking- a single comb with a pea comb on top. Females will have a small weird looking comb, Blue to green egg layers. Most likely green egg layers.

This all depends upon if the chickens are purebred for the genes they should carry. I am not saying your birds are hybrids- birds even shows birds do not always carry the same genes.

Tim

Will the chicks have feathered legs and pea combs (dk brahma rooster, CCL hen)? Will they be sex linked? I am trying to sort out who fathered which chicks since I have both a Dk Brahma rooster and a CCL rooster over the hens right now (I only set the CCL hens eggs though). Thanks for your help. Genetics are complicated enough for me without having to work out the 3 versions of leg feathering. I think I am beginning to understand though.

I thought that if the brahma rooster is either (PP)(rr) or (Pp)(rr) and the hen being single comb must be (pp)(rr), that any chick born to the rooster with (PP)(rr) must have a pea comb, and (Pp)(rr) 50% will be pea comb and 50% will be single. Am I oversimplifying comb genetics? It was my first shot at a punnett square with 4 genes.

Last edited:
I have a question for all of you genetic whizzes.
wink.png
I recently hatched out 3 CCL. 2 cockerels and 1 pullet. Unfortunatly the pullet hatched from a very green tinted egg so I would rather not keep her as I know she will likely also lay a green egg. So here's my question in a roundabout kinda rambling way: If I keep the cockerel who hatched out of the bluest egg, crossed him with my White Leghorn girl, then crossed his daughters back to him would I eventually get the CCL looks and auto sexing back in a few generations along with the true blue egg color? I'm not trying to create a CCL to SOP just wanting to get CCL looking birds with the auto sexing and very true blue egg color....It would probably just be cheaper to buy good quality eggs but I'm not having the best of success with shipped eggs.
hmm.png
Plus I figure this would be a fun experiment. Truthfully I have too many Roo's as is and am thinking of just selling the 3 CCL and trying again next year but I hate to let them go. Took me awhile to get them...

I have a question for all of you genetic whizzes. ;)  I recently hatched out 3 CCL. 2 cockerels and 1 pullet. Unfortunatly the pullet hatched from a very green tinted egg so I would rather not keep her as I know she will likely also lay a green egg. So here's my question in a roundabout kinda rambling way: If I keep the cockerel who hatched out of the bluest egg, crossed him with my White Leghorn girl, then crossed his daughters back to him would I eventually get the CCL looks and auto sexing back in a few generations along with the true blue egg color? I'm not trying to create a CCL to SOP just wanting to get CCL looking birds with the auto sexing and very true blue egg color....It would probably just be cheaper to buy good quality eggs but I'm not having the best of success with shipped eggs. :/  Plus I figure this would be a fun experiment. Truthfully I have too many Roo's as is and am thinking of just selling the 3 CCL and trying again next year but I hate to let them go. Took me awhile to get them...

You will have white chickens for SEVERAL generations.

Back
Top Bottom