Hybrids are not a breed but they are the best anyways: A Hybrid thread.

I have a half red sex link,which I know is already a hybrid, and half leghorn cross that is my absolute best layer. She started laying at 18 weeks and in her first year she literally laid an egg nearly every day, she missed a total of six days in the entire year. She has slowed down a little bit here in her second year, skips a day maybe once a month now but still lays the most.🙂

I have a half red sex link,which I know is already a hybrid, and half leghorn cross that is my absolute best layer. She started laying at 18 weeks and in her first year she literally laid an egg nearly every day, she missed a total of six days in the entire year. She has slowed down a little bit here in her second year, skips a day maybe once a month now but still lays the most.🙂

She and Chipotle (the California White), can start a club together. ;)

IF one of my girls goes broody next spring, and
IF hubby agrees to add on to the coop, then

I soooo want to hatch some chicks! They'd be Buff Orpington over:
Jubilee Orp (I want to see the color that would make)
Black Australorp (I'd call it the "Orpalorp")
Blue Jersey Giant

If hubby says no to the add on (we do have a LOT of projects planned), then maybe IF my neighbor will commit to taking any cockerels, I might still hatch a few eggs.

Oh, girls... any of you want to be a mommy?

I don't have a problem with hybrids. What I don't like is the way the parents are selected. Most hatcheries don't breed they're "heritage" breeds to the SOP. They select only for egg production, or meat, if that is the case. Or nothing at all, and that's almost worse. This can often cause them to have health issues short lives.

So hybrids in general are fun. Some are simply stunning! And they make great pets! I'm all for hybrids and un-recognized breeds. The problem lies when the parent selection. That's what causes health issues.

In my opinion of course. Not everybody thinks this way and that is completely okay :)

I don't have a problem with hybrids. What I don't like is the way the parents are selected. Most hatcheries don't breed they're "heritage" breeds to the SOP. They select only for egg production, or meat, if that is the case. Or nothing at all, and that's almost worse. This can often cause them to have health issues short lives.

So hybrids in general are fun. Some are simply stunning! And they make great pets! I'm all for hybrids and un-recognized breeds. The problem lies when the parent selection. That's what causes health issues.

In my opinion of course. Not everybody thinks this way and that is completely okay :)
Selection is the essential part of breeding, along with culling for sure. I was also under the impression that problems are also due to just how many birds are reproduced from the foundation stock. Each successive generation increasing the incidence of defects.

Selection is the essential part of breeding, along with culling for sure. I was also under the impression that problems are also due to just how many birds are reproduced from the foundation stock. Each successive generation increasing the incidence of defects.
Yeah, that too. I've heard people say that they are producing a bunch of clones, which may be true genetically. But they each still have unique personalities and can be very friendly if you spend time with them!

I don't want people to think I'm hating on hybrids. I like hybrids, I would just prefer if the hatcheries managed their breeding a bit better. This goes for all birds from most hatcheries.

Yeah, that too. I've heard people say that they are producing a bunch of clones, which may be true genetically. But they each still have unique personalities and can be very friendly if you spend time with them!

I don't want people to think I'm hating on hybrids. I like hybrids, I would just prefer if the hatcheries managed their breeding a bit better. This goes for all birds from most hatcheries.
Breeders are going to keep selection a priority if they are good breeders. But hatcheries would not put those concerns at the top of the list. They have thousands of customers who all want their birds now. The avoidance of production bottlenecks and the logistical nightmares of getting the chicks to their homes before they die likely are at the top of the list PERIOD.

Back
Top Bottom