Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Quote:

I had Marans hens and Cream Legbar Roo. Everyone had a white spot.

Sex-linking only works if the female is barred.

Thank you..... I have asked and nobody had an answer. So my Marans roo over the Cream Legbars will give me sex linked.

Quote:

I had Marans hens and Cream Legbar Roo. Everyone had a white spot.

Thank you..... I have asked and nobody had an answer. So my Marans roo over the Cream Legbars will give me sex linked.

Yes - as long as you aren't using a cuckoo Marans.
big_smile.png

@Papa Brooder ... What say you? This was a BCM roo over a Cream legbar hen

Quote:
same as above. should be solid females and barred females. also, legbar roos over golden cuckoo marans have proved to be at least sex linked and maybe auto sexing. will have to see in the next generation.

Technically both Cream Legbar sexes ARE barred...you just don't see it on the females because of other genes involved. If they weren't barred none of the chicks would have that white spot. I haven't hatched out many of that cross and a few did have tiny spots that I wasn't sure if they could be female or not because cream Legbar pullet chicks do have tiny spots some times but so far the few that had a tiny spot did grow out to be barred males. The females grew out to look just like female Black-Copper Marans but with very little feathering on the feet.

same as above.  should be solid females and barred females.  also, legbar roos over golden cuckoo marans have proved to be at least sex linked and maybe auto sexing.  will have to see in the next generation. 

This was a black copper Marans roo over a cream legbar hen. So will the babies not be auto sexing? Do I have two boys here?

Last edited:
same as above.  should be solid females and barred females.  also, legbar roos over golden cuckoo marans have proved to be at least sex linked and maybe auto sexing.  will have to see in the next generation. 

This was a black copper Marans roo over a cream legbar hen. So will the babies not be auto sexing? Do I have two boys here?

No on the autosexing and yes should be two boys

Auto-sexing and sex-links are two different things.

From what I've read, a solid male (Marans) over a barred female (Legbar) will produce sex links. With the big head blotch, looks like you have two boys there.

Auto-sexing and sex-links are two different things.

From what I've read, a solid male (Marans) over a barred female (Legbar) will produce sex links. With the big head blotch, looks like you have two boys there.

I guess in my head, either that let you know what they are at birth are "autosexing". I realize there's a difference. In this case (since a broody is sitting on 7 more eggs), females will be solid?

Back
Top Bottom