Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

One of the CLB x RIR roosters then had babies with our Gold Partridge Silkie, which resulted in these hybrids which are about 5 months.

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_155458-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220331_155458-01.jpeg
    859.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220430_144100-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220430_144100-01.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220430_144215-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220430_144215-01.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 33
The second generation of CLB x RIR chickens (hybrid siblings mated) resulted in red males with stronger barring than the first gen (rooster in the middle below), and hens had strong feather patterning, and black necks and tails (second pic).
They seem to have strong Columbian genes from their RIR grandfather, and lost their CLB lightening gene. They look a bit like Brown Leghorn hens. If they breed true, I thought of calling them Columbian Leghorns? Not sure.

Attachments

• Redbar Rooster 4 months-01.jpeg
    Redbar Rooster 4 months-01.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220227_113521-01-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220227_113521-01-01-01.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 31
If the Cream Legbar hen was a pure Cream Legbar then she’s be homozygous for the blue egg gene (two copies) and all her offspring would have one copy (heterozygous) and lay an egg with a blue shell (then a slight brown coating from the Rhode Island Red would make the eggs look light green).
C3D0E5E9-F183-4938-AFEE-F73AC384032E.jpeg

Here are our Cream Legbar crosses. The mothers were CLB and the father RIR.

In the first generation the hens were red with slight feather patterning and black tails, and laid light brown eggs. The roosters were red barred with black tails, and some with black on the chest and upper back.

I think these were about 5 months here.

If the Cream Legbar hen was a pure Cream Legbar then she’s be homozygous for the blue egg gene (two copies) and all her offspring would have one copy (heterozygous) and lay an egg with a blue shell (then a slight brown coating from the Rhode Island Red would make the eggs look light green). View attachment 3093074
I was just about to ask how a CCL cross could lay brown eggs, thought they would have to be a shade of green if they were pure legbar on one side. Thanks for this!

If the Cream Legbar hen was a pure Cream Legbar then she’s be homozygous for the blue egg gene (two copies) and all her offspring would have one copy (heterozygous) and lay an egg with a blue shell (then a slight brown coating from the Rhode Island Red would make the eggs look light green). View attachment 3093074
I don't think they are pure. I allowed my son and partner to pick the fertilized eggs from the breeder, and while there were blue eggs there, for some reason he picked the white eggs! The girls look like cream legbars but obviously not pure. I'll find a pic...

I don't think they are pure. I allowed my son and partner to pick the fertilized eggs from the breeder, and while there were blue eggs there, for some reason he picked the white eggs! The girls look like cream legbars but obviously not pure. I'll find a pic...
Yeah…if they aren’t blue eggs then they aren’t pure. Now…at the end of the season if the birds have been laying eggs like crazy the blue can get very light in color but compared to a white egg you’ll still see the blue. When I first tried to buy Cream Legbar eggs on eBay the few eggs that hatched were definitely crosses. When they were first available in the US they were very expensive and a lot of unscrupulous people crossed them and tried to sell the birds and the hatching eggs as pure. Luckily they were so bad that it was obvious they weren’t pure. That happens a lot with various breeds and I think right now that’s happening with Indio Gigante where people are crossing them with Asil and Shamo to make a quick buck.

Yeah…if they aren’t blue eggs then they aren’t pure. Now…at the end of the season if the birds have been laying eggs like crazy the blue can get very light in color but compared to a white egg you’ll still see the blue. When I first tried to buy Cream Legbar eggs on eBay the few eggs that hatched were definitely crosses. When they were first available in the US they were very expensive and a lot of unscrupulous people crossed them and tried to sell the birds and the hatching eggs as pure. Luckily they were so bad that it was obvious they weren’t pure. That happens a lot with various breeds and I think right now that’s happening with Indio Gigante where people are crossing them with Asil and Shamo to make a quick buck.
Thankyou for the info. The more I read about the breed I'm wondering if what my son picked was a silver or golden Legbar because they don't have a crest.

Here is a pic of one of our Legbars.
Hard to really judge the hen from that photo but really unless it’s a project the only colors we have are Cream and Crele and really they just made up the Crele because Greenfire bought poor quality birds in their first THREE imports that didn’t have the Cream gene and so many people bought them and propagated them (me included) that they decided to make a new category for them. Hard to believe that Greenfire would spend $10,000 three times and get poor quality birds each time before they actually read up on the birds and got good ones. I think they got the first three imports from a breeder they found on British eBay. Anyhow, they should all be crested. That’s as much a part of the breed as blue eggs (in Europe they accept green eggs as well). Anything else (like “Opal” Legbars) are project birds. Here’s a photo of my best rooster that actually had the Cream gene. Some of my hens were Crele and some were his daughters and were Cream as well. The hens should all be rather brown with a reddish breast and a big crest. Roosters should be more black and white but not solid barred all over. Hackles and saddles should look white like this guy. The crest is smaller on roosters but it should still be there. The Crele birds that don’t have the cream gene will be tinted yellow on hackles and saddles.

Attachments

• 2D64DD30-A03E-473C-93C1-CC84E711A772.jpeg
    2D64DD30-A03E-473C-93C1-CC84E711A772.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 39
Hard to really judge the hen from that photo but really unless it’s a project the only colors we have are Cream and Crele and really they just made up the Crele because Greenfire bought poor quality birds in their first THREE imports that didn’t have the Cream gene and so many people bought them and propagated them (me included) that they decided to make a new category for them. Hard to believe that Greenfire would spend $10,000 three times and get poor quality birds each time before they actually read up on the birds and got good ones. I think they got the first three imports from a breeder they found on British eBay. Anyhow, they should all be crested. That’s as much a part of the breed as blue eggs (in Europe they accept green eggs as well). Anything else (like “Opal” Legbars) are project birds. Here’s a photo of my best rooster that actually had the Cream gene. Some of my hens were Crele and some were his daughters and were Cream as well. The hens should all be rather brown with a reddish breast and a big crest. Roosters should be more black and white but not solid barred all over. Hackles and saddles should look white like this guy. The crest is smaller on roosters but it should still be there. The Crele birds that don’t have the cream gene will be tinted yellow on hackles and saddles.
Thanks so much for the info, very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom