Cream Legbar - Pullet or Cockerel?

Hellgalisa

Hatching
Aug 14, 2022
Hi all!

I just got some 9 week old pullets from a friend who had been raising them since day old chicks for me.

One is supposed to be a Cream Legbar Hen, but all signs are looking like she might be a rooster. Especially even just the coloring - doesn’t look like she’s going to get any tan or brown feathers like the pictures of seen of the Cream Legbar Hens.

Now… I’ve been really suspicious the last few days since we brought them home: Noticing some roo-like behavior with the other girls, and maybe some long saddle feathers developing. This morning, “she” made an attempt at crowing. (I understand that some hens will crow… buuuut all signs are not leading me in the direction of hen.)

I’m attaching photos of “her” now and as a baby chick - I thought they were supposed to be auto-sexing at birth?

Thanks all!

EF2FE37B-C779-4FA0-BD5D-9FF18B5AACB4.jpeg

929B69BC-31FD-422C-B481-1E02AAB2515E.jpeg
D4DEBF2D-311C-4785-88E1-1EF3019F2DE9.jpeg

Yeah, Cream Legbars don't have beards, pea combs, or greenish legs, not to mention the feather coloration is completely wrong. All signs point to some sort of Easter-egger mix, not a Legbar at all.

He is a cockerel for sure, though.

Thanks all very much! The past few days we were upping our odds on cockerel, and then there was the crowing this morning. I so appreciate the quick response and expert help here.

As you can probably tell, I’m still learning, especially on chicken breeds, but we had a feeling there was a breed issue as well, seeing as there was a mess up when the entire lot was supposed to be female and all tagged, but were not.

I have seen *some* photos online of Cream Legbars Roosters that look very *similar* to how he is developing, but it’s here and there and so hard to tell.

The “poofy cheeks” do look like an Easter Egger or Ameraucana type for sure and that was a secondary issue over the gender.

On the list of chicks we received, there was an Easter Egger Mix and Green Queen Easter Egger. Would be wonderful to be able to know what we actually ended up with if anyone with a fine, expert eye can help.

Thanks again all!

Back
Top Bottom