Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Ok, actually, i do not have mules. The name "parkmule" is an old one I picked up when I was packing mules in Yosemite NP.
I am involved in the foundation breeding a for new breed of horses called Drum Horses. They are a heavy riding horse, much like a Clydesdale.
I currently own the only sliver bay stallion registered with the IDHA. Here is a fun picture of our stallion and gelding playing.
Hi Parkmule! How very cool. See now I thought that Drum horses were a very old breed in England like Gypsy Vanners and such. And the only horse I think I've seen that was silver bay was a Iclandic. Didn't realize it wasn't a flaxen maned chestnut until the color was pointed out as different. I'm going to have to look them up!

I wonder if folks wo are interested in Legbars because they are a historical breed (I love that Punnett created for scientific study but made them with whimsey) but different from traditional breeds are also interested in other animals that are unique or more rare? I have a Curly horse--I was fascinated by thier history and love the uniqueness of the breed, too. Is that what interested you in Cream Legbars?

Good luck with your horses! I got my Curly from one of the founders of the ICHO and it was a very time consuming dedication of love for her.

I hope I don't upset anybody but I just wanted to say that I find all of this wonderful. I currently live in the UK and am going to be putting Cream Legbar eggs under my broody this week and it is interesting to see how the decisions are made about the American standards and how a new club is formed. I am only on page 16 but will be reading all the posts with interests.

Parkmule, love your paintings.
Now why would you upset anybody? Or is it that we might be jealous that you can so easily get wonderful blue eggs from Genetically diverse Cream Legbars? OK, so I guess I am a little jealous!

Good luck with your broody and keep us posted with your hatch. Are you going to candle or just let nature take its course? Pictures are always welcomed, and so are you!

Love the art Parkmule! Horses were one of my favorite animals to draw and paint growing up. This is an example I did for my students for a drawing exercise we did at school. We have a working farm as part of our school's vocational educational offerings. I'm a working artist and painting is so very much cathartic!

Love the art Parkmule! Horses were one of my favorite animals to draw and paint growing up. This is an example I did for my students for a drawing exercise we did at school. We have a working farm as part of our school's vocational educational offerings. I'm a working artist and painting is so very much cathartic!

Love this!

Wow! too many to quote!
Thanks for the kudos!
Love the pencil horse pic!

Drum horses are a job in the UK, and that job dates back tot he Ottoman Empire. They were usually a large warmblood type horse. Queen Elizabeth II started using loud colored feathered horses. Drum Horses as a breed, the standard is being written here in the US. With the goal to have Drum to Drum breedings and an actual breed. In Europe any horse with the right temperment can do the job, and be called a drum horse.

Curlies are very fun! Tough little horses and great for trail riding. I have ridden a couple of crosses over the years.

My biz partner and I bought two pairs of LB chicks, one of the cocks died. And we picked up a Jaerhon pair on a whim, while at the breeder. She kept the LB, I got the Jaerhons. And they might be my new fav. breed. I haven't been around the LB much, as they are about an hour away from me. But they did get me into the history of the auto-sexing breeds. I am switching over all my coops to auto-sexing breeds. And I am VERY excited to have Hambars in my incubator right now. They are VERY rare and as far as I know I will be the only person west of the Mississippi seriously breeding them.

So, the Gypsy Horses got me into the Drum Horses and the Legbars got me into the Hambars. But I do love the rare breeds with a history. And yes, that was one of the reasons I got into the LB, but that was just my first little step. I will now have LB, Jaerhons, Gold Guckoo Marans, Hambars and Crele Polish (an auto-sexing project)

Okay...off to clean off my art table (under 20# of sewing stuff)

You LB people are all so nice!
thumbsup.gif

Babymakes6, lonnyandrinda, chickkat, redchicken9 and dretd

So very kind of all of you! I agree with Parkmule all of you are so nice.

X2 nice blackbirds13. We NEED an art show. You are all SO talented. Fabulous. -- And dretd -- we need to see a picture of Curly!

I agree, maybe BYC needs an art show thread!

I tried to go out and get a picture of my Curly (name of the breed, not the horse) Callisto. She was quite uncooperative and kept sniffing the camera and following me (she's very friendly) around so I got no good shots, but I did get a picture of her ear. I know that sounds weird, but Curlies are essentially mustangs with a gene mutation that modifies their keratin to make it curly. The coat is more similar to mohair than horse hair and if you are allergic to horses, you may not be allergic to Curlies. The horses are know to be smart, very nonreactive and tough. They will have crushed velvet to curly coats in the winter that shed to smooth coats. They always retain a curl to their ear hair--hence the photo of her ear:

Warning: I am not breeding Cream Legbars for standard of perfection. I am looking for help from the experts on this forum.

I am a high school teacher and I use rare chicken breeds and egg colors to teach sustainability & genetics. We research different egg colors and breeding for various egg colors. We are going to be hatching some olive eggers, partridge penedesenca, FBC marans, tufted rumpless araucanas and various other breeds soon in the classroom.

Has anyone tried a cross between two blue egg laying breeds (Ameraucana with Cream Legbar) or even a cross between a blue egg layer with a green egg layer (Isbar). I am just curious if this would produce a brighter blue egg layer or even a brighter turquoise colored egg. Anyone tried this or have opinions/predictions or a hypotheses? I know about the basics of egg color genetics and makeup. Responding with a comment like "a green egg is really a blue egg with brown coating....." is not going to help. We figured that out at the very beginning of our research.

My students goal is to raise chickens that will produce 12 different egg colors. A rainbow dozen. We have a lot of the obvious breeds. The students are bringing up great questions about cross breeding for egg color. The OE was an experiment...there has to be more out there.

I will be posting this in several forums to gain info. Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom