Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

IMG_20210116_153658986.jpg
IMG_20210116_153627481.jpg
IMG_20210116_153615663.jpg
IMG_20210116_153627481.jpg
IMG_20210116_153639401.jpg
all males here are cockerels between 6-9 months old so they aren't fully filled in yet. Pullets are 6 months, and there are about 8 hens in with them that are about 18 months old.

This is my one cockerel. He is 7-8 months old now. He's much shorter than my last (a$$hole) CLB rooster (who was gorgeous and had a beautiful comb), and his colouring is a bit different- but his colouring is very similar to your roosters @Bantambird . What colour is this?? His comb is awful, very floppy and his spikes are round and crude looking. He is gentle with the ladies, though and a bit timid with me. (better than his predecessor!).
I only have one hen, so I know I will have to hatch a lot before I get a new rooster with a better comb. I will try and take pics of my hen Lovey. She is 2.5 now and moulting and not coming out into the snow much....

I would love any opinions on this guy. What traits he has that are good, and not good. I dont know anything about the CLB SOP.

Attachments

• IMG_9986.JPG
    IMG_9986.JPG
    725.3 KB · Views: 17
Goodness. I hate that so much activity and conversation has moved to Facebook groups. It's such an inferior platform. I've been reading through this thread and there is SO MUCH valuable information archived and made searchable here. Things shared in Facebook groups disappear into the ether.

Not only that, but I'm always in FB jail and can't even comment and participate because of breaking the constantly changing rules. I can't post for a month because I called someone a potato jokingly, and then I was discussing what it felt like to identity as a certain socioeconomic group and somehow that was deemed hate speech.

I really wish we could find a way to draw people back to BYC or even have a Legbar ONLY BBS system on the Legbar Club page. Relying on Facebook for discussion is so exclusionary.

I am out of FB. I posted a youtube video and they cancelled it. I did it again and they blocked me for 30 days. I immediately kicked them out of my life for good. I am not a parrot to repeat only what they want to hear.

Could I get an opinion on this rooster? Give it to me straight, he was an A-hole, so I rehomed him to a guy who didn't have kids and needed a great rooster (he was Fantastic with the hens). I have his daughter in my flock as my only CLB hen right now, and I will be breeding her with my only CCLB rooster (completely unrelated to either my hen or the guy in this photo). What can you tell me about MR. A-hole below?

another handsome guy an a$$-you-know-what? why is always like that? is there any handsome and nice?

I am out of FB. I posted a youtube video and they cancelled it. I did it again and they blocked me for 30 days. I immediately kicked them out of my life for good. I am not a parrot to repeat only what they want to hear.
His color is not too bad for a Gold Crele, however the duckwing could be better. The white tail feather is not good.

He needs a better breast and more pronounced keel. The comb is terrible.

His tail angle is too sharp. His hackles are closer to cream than gold crele at the bottom.

I only see a slight crest. I almost need to use my imagination to see that.
There is something wrong with his back line, but that could be the result of such a poor tail angle.

I would cull him or breed him to a squirrel. :lau

another handsome guy an a$$-you-know-what? why is always like that? is there any handsome and nice?
my rooster above is very nice. he just has a terrible comb.
and my hen is very sweet so Im hoping they can make some nice offspring, and one will have an ok comb. we'll see.

I went back and read the comments on Brooster (my a-hole rooster I no longer own). So from the photo above- my new rooster "Jeffo" (kids named him) - does he look like he has a long back? and he doesn't have the main white tail feather that Rooster had...so I guess that is good? How many points should a comb have, and should they be really pointy and deep? Or not so deep?

It has been very easy to auto sex his offspring. Even when crossed with my Easter Eggers!

Last edited:
my rooster above is very nice. he just has a terrible comb.
and my hen is very sweet so Im hoping they can make some nice offspring, and one will have an ok comb. we'll see.

I went back and read the comments on Brooster (my a-hole rooster I no longer own). So from the photo above- my new rooster "Jeffo" (kids named him) - does he look like he has a long back? and he doesn't have the main white tail feather that Rooster had...so I guess that is good? How many points should a comb have, and should they be really pointy and deep? Or not so deep?

It has been very easy to auto sex his offspring. Even when crossed with my Easter Eggers!
7 points to the comb straight with no folds.

I can see his crest, he just look for the chestnut coloring on his crest like I do. It's like a skull cap. I have had males with the tuft sticking out from under the comb like that. If you can find for him a hen with a better looking comb, salmon breast, and buttery hackles, I bet you can get some decent offspring. Look for a long topline on her, and a cute beret crest. Hatch lots, cull lots, and it will come. Takes years, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom