Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Wow, there are some beautiful hoofed creatures here. Back at Cream Legbars, maybe Lonnyandrinda can repost these photos. I see both a more spreading fan tail and less. Since I am newer to poultry is this a matter of differences between hens or difference of poses.

I know I did a lot of the language on the draft SOP, but here I'm thinking about the Leghorns, Cream Legbars, and Minorcas for female tails. Leghorns and Minorcas have Long tails, while CLs are Moderately Long.

The Am. SOP for Leghorns include language that indicates the tail is well-spread, the Minorca does not. Our current language for Cream Legbars does not.

In the UK, the Cream Legbar is described as a barrred Leghorn. The female British Leghorn, which shown in photo in the 6th edition British Poultry Standards does not show a female with a well spread tail. So while I conject that our language is appropriate, since it follows the BPS, I want to visualize this tail more perfectly. If able, I will pose and photo a few females some evening this week. In the meantime, how do you, dear BYCers see the female tail via the UK or within your own birds the ideal tail. CL language below and link to Scar Top photos. Rinda could you repost the females?

Tail: Moderately long, carried at an angle of thirty-five degrees above horizontal.
Main tail—feathers broad and overlapping.
Coverts—broad and abundant, extending well onto main tail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...group-standard-of-perfection/510#post_9843985

Absolutely. I will also try to get out and take a more critical eye and photograph some of mine. I have to be careful letting them out right now though because we are in the process of repairing our fence and there is no yard fence.

These photos are shared with the BYC Cream Legbar commununity with the permission of Amanda Rowe of Scartop Poultry.

The tail below does not seem to be full enough- and also not enough coverts if I have the terminology right?

This tail seems a bit high angled, but otherwise seems OK. Something about it just seems off but I can't put my finger on it.

These ladies both have decent tails.

I really like the lady at the front. But as she is bent over not standing I'm not sure how much this photo helps us.

This girl looks nice, again a bit high on the angle but she seems to be at alert stance which is probably affecting her tail angle.

Here's some of my own birds. I will make a few notes but kind of in a hurry today.

First a "cute chick picture" just for you Kathy-- got 5 girls and 1 boy between Mon and Tues. 1 more in the incubator still but I don't have much hope for it. The rest are BCMs, EEs, and a few Ameraucanas.

This is one of my goldie girls, Once I get some more cream girls she will be gone. But she has a nice angle on her tail. Her back line is a little rumpled because she's a favorite... Goldie girl in the back is my wry tailed one as you can tell.

This green band girl has a really nice tail set, too. She is my youngest hen that is the same age as my cockerel.

Here she is again.

Here he is! This is Hugger (named by my 5 year old daughter)

The wind is whipping his tail. But it is just a little high set anyway, although not nearly as bad as his dad. He is really filling out in the chest nicely.

This is green band girl again.

This is Momma. She lays some of my bluest eggs. Just had to snap this photo- between her crest and comb she always looks like she has an attitude!

This hen has a perpetual 90 degree tail. Always. Too bad she's a cream!

Here we have Momma, green band girl, and I goldie girl (wry tail I think).

Love the babies Rinda, they are SOOOOOO cute!!!!
love.gif
I'm going ga ga over them. Your whole set of Cream Legbars is very nice. THANK you for the photo tour. Congrats on your 5-girls to 1-boy ratio.

Last edited:
Yes thank you for the pictures.... I have 7 roos to pick from and now I know the one that is more silver/white is the better coloring. I have to check out my hens for the coloring. I will try to post pics and maybe with help I can find out which ones to sell.

ok guys took me a while to look around for other examples as why would a double barred male with autosomal cream should look "Almost" like a Silver Crele

the following pics are not mine but are used for educational purposes as intended by original author: source: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ion/305733-tongue-tied-about-feathers-ha.html

now the Author of such pics and cross unintentional recreated the long lost Autosexable gold Wybar Bantams

here is the single barred Male.(on a gold laced background)

Single Barred Male in the front and Double Barred sons on the background, look how diluted they look? double barring is a powerful diluter on itself

Double Barred Son on the Left and Single Barred Son on the Right(Full brothers)

single barred Son on left Double Barred Maled on the Right

so when Looking at birds like the following Male´s color one should not say, Oh but he is too Silver. when infact genetically he cant look otherwise ig/ig B/B s+/s+ none red enhanced birds look like this

source http://forum.downsizer.net/archive/cream-legbar-s-girls-or-boys__o_t__t_61800.html

making a long story short: too rich enhanced birds are either too Red enhanced or not red enhanced at all but lacking cream... no way to distinguish them just by look.

I hope this helped some of you guys..

Back
Top Bottom