Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Question: How many folks with Cream Legbars plan on either showing their birds or putting up displays about Cream Legbars at poultry chows in 2014?

I am not sure that I will be ready to show anything in 2014 given that my breeding program will not be up and hatching until early 2014. Maybe the State Fair in August if I am lucky. I am thinking about starting to attend poultry shows to get the lay of the land in preparation. In looking for shows to check out, I ran across this: http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Chickens.html

They are listing Cream Legbars under Legbar in 'All Other Standard Breeds' class and not 'English' class. However, of the two chicken pictures on the page, one is of a Cream Legbar--Jill Rees's hen Lillian.

Me! I might be able to get into a show in a couple of weeks, but I'm still waiting on the show book.

I'll contact Poultry Show Central and see if I can get the entry corrected to English class.

I showed my original birds last year and showed a couple at our fair this yeat. Next year, I plan to show some legbars, I figure I'll show single & rose combed birds in both cream & light brown depending on what has better type and feather

Question: How many folks with Cream Legbars plan on either showing their birds or putting up displays about Cream Legbars at poultry chows in 2014?

I am not sure that I will be ready to show anything in 2014 given that my breeding program will not be up and hatching until early 2014. Maybe the State Fair in August if I am lucky. I am thinking about starting to attend poultry shows to get the lay of the land in preparation. In looking for shows to check out, I ran across this: http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Chickens.html

They are listing Cream Legbars under Legbar in 'All Other Standard Breeds' class and not 'English' class. However, of the two chicken pictures on the page, one is of a Cream Legbar--Jill Rees's hen Lillian.

Me! I might be able to get into a show in a couple of weeks, but I'm still waiting on the show book.

I'll contact Poultry Show Central and see if I can get the entry corrected to English class.
Yes, you will find Valerie at Poultry Show Central very responsive.

It was in September - just after the Club's Website was hooked to CreamLegbarClub.com that she made the breed page for Cream Legbars, and put a link to the Club there..... yay!! And there is a link to the Show Central site on the "Resources" page of the Club website.

Perhaps KP you would also do a posting in the Clubhouse under shows to help people interested in taking the plunge in 2014 - about exactly what way they should enter the birds...so that information is readily available for reference. Hope you get the show book - and Good luck with your birds.

Everyone who shows... start accumulating the tricks of the trade. My birds started to Molt in Sept -- and poor things started looking scroungey pretty fast. So if someone were to show a bird in the fair in October...they would probably want to artificially light them to insure no molt before a late autumn show.... and - if a hen is what I call 'over bred' her wing, back and tail feathers are pretty destroyed, and in the case of a Cream Legbar - she could have a butch-hair-cut instead of a Crest - so that is a big consideration. GOOD LUCK at the show - and tell us all about it -- ahhh do I envision another article for the Q1 CL Club newsletter?

dretd, -- You could probably get early hatchers ready for autumn shows.

It's all pretty exciting. 2014 would be a good year for a lot of Cream Legbars to show up in shows.

Why, yes. Yes, you do. :)
So KP about the world of showing and MO about corresponding with a septuagenerian in the UK with knowledge that reaches back to the original Punnett flock? For Q1 2014 newsletter?? Should be another superb issue!

wee.gif

oops edited for typos

Last edited:

I attended the Maryland Poultry Fanciers Club show today in Frederick, MD. There were no cream legbars there, as expected but they did have a category of "Who flew over the fence" in which I saw an obviously CCL descended pullet with red ears, a nice crest and mostly correct hackles and body color. But the colors were definitely off.

But my greatest impression from this show was that I have some birds that could give some of the ones there that did well a real run for the money. Particularly, my blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel and a black ameraucana pullet. So much so that I am seriously considering the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on November 23rd.

My question for folks here is how should I approach entering my CCLs in this show since they are not recognized by the APA? Suggestions would be appreciated. I am also in a similar situation with the basque hens since there is a Spanish standard but no APA standard.

I attended the Maryland Poultry Fanciers Club show today in Frederick, MD. There were no cream legbars there, as expected but they did have a category of "Who flew over the fence" in which I saw an obviously CCL descended pullet with red ears, a nice crest and mostly correct hackles and body color. But the colors were definitely off.

But my greatest impression from this show was that I have some birds that could give some of the ones there that did well a real run for the money. Particularly, my blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel and a black ameraucana pullet. So much so that I am seriously considering the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on November 23rd.

My question for folks here is how should I approach entering my CCLs in this show since they are not recognized by the APA? Suggestions would be appreciated. I am also in a similar situation with the basque hens since there is a Spanish standard but no APA standard.

You just enter them. Print out a copy of the Standard and pin it to the cage. I'm still waiting on Draft 2 to get a nod of approval before I post it, but I'll get it done ASAP. I can send it to you via email as well so it has proper spacing etc. Best wishes!

Quote: HaplessRunner-I do hope you are able to show then. I suspect the more you show in general, the better you do because you pick up those tricks of the trade which will come in very handy when you want to show your Cream Legbars!

KPenley, thanks for the information about posting the SOP on the cage. Do you bring a second copy to give to them when you sign in or is posting on the cage sufficient? Have you talked judges about the birds afterwards to see how well they were received or if they had questions or clarifications about the SOP?

HaplessRunner-I do hope you are able to show then. I suspect the more you show in general, the better you do because you pick up those tricks of the trade which will come in very handy when you want to show your Cream Legbars!

KPenley, thanks for the information about posting the SOP on the cage. Do you bring a second copy to give to them when you sign in or is posting on the cage sufficient? Have you talked judges about the birds afterwards to see how well they were received or if they had questions or clarifications about the SOP?

Actually if you know the judges before hand you can sometimes send them the SOP. Or you can pass it on to the Show Organizers/Club and sometimes they can get a copy in the judges hands too. I hope to talk to some judges on the 23rd!

For everyone, Poultry Show Central is a great site for bathing and show prep info. Plus they have free breeder's advertising spots, if you'd like to be one of the first to join the Legbars page (well it's free for everyone, but they'd like to have some Cream Legbar breeders there)! Valerie asked me to send all y'all over!

[/IMG]
. Here is a pic of the 2 Roos I've chosen to keep. I hatched them from eggs from 2 sources that both claimed they were 1st gen GFF. They are 28 weeks old. The 5 pullets I kept are pretty nice, only one has really good cream color (but she has a very small crest)- so I hv some work to do there, too. About the boys: the one on the left is considerably bigger (doesn't look like it in the pic, I know), has the best color, a longer balanced frame and better tail, but a not-so-perfect comb. The boy on the right has more gold, is smaller and has a shorter back. BUT, he has a near perfect comb! I hv 2 pens and will be switching them between the girls and hatching different combos (while I wait for GFF to send me some from their 2013 line). Am I evaluating them correctly? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom