Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Quote:
too rusty, should be slate grey.. But I like what I see in the form of melanizers, this hen could produce good looking Males, asfar as the grey barring requested by the SOP on Back, saddle, hackle and secondaries... she could be concider a Male line Pullet

Last edited:
Quote:
too rusty, should be slate grey.. But I like what I see in the form of melanizers, this hen could produce good looking Males, asfar as the grey barring requested by the SOP on Back, saddle, hackle and secondaries... she could be concider a Male line Pullet
I was really hoping to eventually get good males and good females from the same birds eventually.

Quote:
oh you can achieve that my friend, maybe not Show Wining birds, but birds that follow the SOP to the letter and can be Show, you see the Dual line breeders do that to Win shows, nothing else

Last edited:
Do Any of you Lot wish to Breed the CCL to be a Dual Purpose breed instead of an exceptionla egg layers(ala Leghorns) ?.. this CCL Member wishes to do such a thing and is willing to split the community
Quote:

Do Any of you Lot wish to Breed the CCL to be a Dual Purpose breed instead of an exceptionla egg layers(ala Leghorns) ?.. this CCL Member wishes to do such a thing and is willing to split the community
Quote:
No I think meeting the draft SOP size as it is will be difficult enough. And I don't care to tamper with the egg laying ability and it doesn't make sense based in the majority of breeds that went into this breed. In my opinion.

No I think meeting the draft SOP size as it is will be difficult enough. And I don't care to tamper with the egg laying ability and it doesn't make sense based in the majority of breeds that went into this breed. In my opinion.

X2.

The way I understand the breed is that it was developed to be an egg layer (thus the use of Brown Leghorn) with blue colored eggs (South American) that was auto-sexing (Barred).

I will be working on my own draft SOP that focuses on Cream Legbars as a dual-purpose instead of just be a layer breed. It's too bad that just a few individuals think that they get to control the future of the Cream Legbar breed. It should be an open discussion amongst CCL breeders.

Edited to clarify so as not to offend anyone.

Last edited:
I will be working on my own draft SOP that focuses on Cream Legbars as a dual-purpose instead of just be a layer breed.  It's too bad that just a few individuals think that they get to control the future of the Cream Legbar breed.  It should be an open discussion amongst real CCL breeders.
It's not about control. You are of course free to do whatever you like. I just think it would be simpler and easier if you distinguished the birds bred toward this goal with a name modified in some way. Then the large fan base for this kind of bird that you mentioned can identify them without getting horribly confused.

I'm assuming here that you also feel others of us are free to pursue the egg laying version of the breed as well if we like?

It's not about control. You are of course free to do whatever you like. I just think it would be simpler and easier if you distinguished the birds bred toward this goal with a name modified in some way. Then the large fan base for this kind of bird that you mentioned can identify them without getting horribly confused.

I'm assuming here that you also feel others of us are free to pursue the egg laying version of the breed as well if we like?
I think it would be less confusing to rename the laying only version to another name. That way people know that they are getting a single purpose bird. The Crested Cream Legbar name could stick with the dual-purpose version.

I think everyone should pursue whatever version of the breed that they view as their standard of perfection. After all, we do not have one yet. So until a Standard is approved and set in stone by the APA, we should explore every avenue of the breed so that it has the best chance of acceptance by poultry keepers.

I think it would be less confusing to rename the laying only version to another name. That way people know that they are getting a single purpose bird. The Crested Cream Legbar name could stick with the dual-purpose version.
Rescinded. Pointless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom