Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hi, I would like to join this thread. This is my first time with legbars. I hatched my 3 hens and 3 cockerels in mid October. 2 roos rehomed. This is the Roo I kept and my 3 girls. His comb is starting to flop towards the back. He began crowing 3 weeks ago and the girls are not laying yet, but should be soon.

Oh good for you and they are beautiful...I had two roos and one hen. Supposed to be the other way around, however, my hen was always the low one on the totem pole and she never really matured and died last month at age 1. One of the roos, that was beautiful got cold and passed away in December so I have only one roo left. He too is beautiful. May I ask where you got your Leg Bars? I wanted to raise some but have not been successful as you can see. I have one Lemon Cuckoo Orpington and again the female grew to be the low on the pole and somewhat odd and she too died last fall. The male is large and gorgeous. Got these from the same breeder at the same time and see what I got. Each cost $25.00 as chicks so I was not only sad that they passed but wonder about the breeder in NC. Never again..so this is why I ask.

Be glad to hear from you and I am so glad you are in this group.

I am in VA far East coast..

Shar

Oh good for you and they are beautiful...I had two roos and one hen. Supposed to be the other way around, however, my hen was always the low one on the totem pole and she never really matured and died last month at age 1. One of the roos, that was beautiful got cold and passed away in December so I have only one roo left. He too is beautiful. May I ask where you got your Leg Bars? I wanted to raise some but have not been successful as you can see. I have one Lemon Cuckoo Orpington and again the female grew to be the low on the pole and somewhat odd and she too died last fall. The male is large and gorgeous. Got these from the same breeder at the same time and see what I got. Each cost $25.00 as chicks so I was not only sad that they passed but wonder about the breeder in NC. Never again..so this is why I ask.

Be glad to hear from you and I am so glad you are in this group.

I am in VA far East coast..

Shar

Hi Shar,
So sorry to hear about your poor hen and roos. I took a chance and I actually got mine from ebay and I just recently checked the BYC site and sunnychickfarm is a member but hasn;'t been on since last year. In the add she said they were Greenfire farms, but I wanted to ask what line, if she knew. I had a good hatch 6 out of 9 eggs and am very happy. I know a lot of people on this site are selling eggs, maybe you will have some luck there.

I am in Chicago,
Mary

Last edited:
Oh lucky you. I don't think mine originally came from the breeder but Greeb as well but this breeder must not of cared or why else were the hens inferior? I will try eBay. And thanks for the information. Thanks. Shar. Keep in touch. Let me know how yours continue to do.

Oh lucky you. I don't think mine originally came from the breeder but Greeb as well but this breeder must not of cared or why else were the hens inferior? I will try eBay. And thanks for the information. Thanks. Shar. Keep in touch. Let me know how yours continue to do.

I know on the thread You have what I want and I have what you want, there is Junibutt I think ? She is from Chicago and has some Legbar eggs I believe. I have seen her chickens and they are beautiful

Oh do you have Copper Marans too? I tried to get some of them too. I usually get my girls from a breeder around the corner from us but he doesn't have the kind I wish to have. The lady I got the Cream Leg Bars and Lemon Cuckoo Orphingtons from is the one who drove to Raleigh to the breeder who supposedly got them from Greenfire.....I don't have an incubator just let the girls go broody and get what I get but do want hens for my Cream Leg Bar.

Thanks for corresponding..

Shar

Hi, I would like to join this thread. This is my first time with legbars. I hatched my 3 hens and 3 cockerels in mid October. 2 roos rehomed. This is the Roo I kept and my 3 girls. His comb is starting to flop towards the back. He began crowing 3 weeks ago and the girls are not laying yet, but should be soon.

Hi ChicagoClucker,

Thanks for posting pictures~ Your chickens look BIG -- maybe it is just the contrast with the snow. It looks like most of the tail feathers in your male are at 45-degrees from horizontal. This year I'm working on tail angles for my flock, so I am tuned into that.

Interestingly, I want to make a comment about the saturated colors. It is nearly impossible to discuss colors with only photos on computers - and the snow gives your whole flock the effect of 'backlighting' - so that they are going to look very dark. -- In another thread, we were discussing how to say a light-colored Cream Legbar and a dark-colored Cream Legbar - and I have kind of taken some chickens from the UK where the breed originated to say this can be the benchmark of 'lighter than' or 'darker than' - Unless there is a benchmark - it is kind of a sliding category.

Here is a link tot he thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...on-for-alternative-legbars-sop-discussion/500

Post 505 if you are interested.

Also - did you know that there are quite a few threads in addition to this one that was used in 2012 to develop the Standard of Perfection (SOP) draft to define the breed for the APA acceptance application?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/509483/cream-legbars
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/603454/cream-legbar-pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread

So glad that you are interested in this amazing breed. -- I hope you will keep posting a lot of information about your chickens. Consider joining the Cream Legbar Club--- and yes, Junibutt would be a good source of eggs. I'm thinking I might get some from him when I want to infuse some different genetics in my flock~|

Hi ChicagoClucker,

Thanks for posting pictures~ Your chickens look BIG -- maybe it is just the contrast with the snow. It looks like most of the tail feathers in your male are at 45-degrees from horizontal. This year I'm working on tail angles for my flock, so I am tuned into that.

Interestingly, I want to make a comment about the saturated colors. It is nearly impossible to discuss colors with only photos on computers - and the snow gives your whole flock the effect of 'backlighting' - so that they are going to look very dark. -- In another thread, we were discussing how to say a light-colored Cream Legbar and a dark-colored Cream Legbar - and I have kind of taken some chickens from the UK where the breed originated to say this can be the benchmark of 'lighter than' or 'darker than' - Unless there is a benchmark - it is kind of a sliding category.

Here is a link tot he thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...on-for-alternative-legbars-sop-discussion/500

Post 505 if you are interested.

Also - did you know that there are quite a few threads in addition to this one that was used in 2012 to develop the Standard of Perfection (SOP) draft to define the breed for the APA acceptance application?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/509483/cream-legbars
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/603454/cream-legbar-pictures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459044/the-legbar-thread

So glad that you are interested in this amazing breed. -- I hope you will keep posting a lot of information about your chickens. Consider joining the Cream Legbar Club--- and yes, Junibutt would be a good source of eggs. I'm thinking I might get some from him when I want to infuse some different genetics in my flock~|

Thanks for all the info, I will check out the links you posted.

I know there are so many threads, I am trying to go thru them. Love this site, so helpful!

As of right now, I am waiting on my first egg from one of the girls and am loving the fact that my Roo keeps bringing them out of the garage coop to the smaller outdoor coop to show them where the older hens lay their eggs. He hangs out there a good part of the day with the girls.

Back
Top Bottom