Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Thank you Chickat! I'm sure I'm being too sensitive - I shouldn't have mentioned anything.
duc.gif

I had to PM Mary to apologize, I definitely am not an expert, think I am, or want anyone feeling bummed at all!

I want feel good all around
yippiechickie.gif
smile.png

That actually strikes me as funny about 'pale butter' LOL, I guess I can imagine comparing with a stick of it. LOL.
bow.gif

That sounds very English - you're right, we all have a long way to go! LOL.

I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance Chickat, and Chicken Pickin, I'm glad we all share a love of Cream Legbar!

Hope you all have a FABULOUS WEEK!*

thumbsup.gif

Lindsay
duc.gif
hugs.gif

highfive.gif
It takes many people and many view points to achieve something good. It is always a learning experience even for the experienced. Im still leaning something new everyday about the Cream Legbar breed and I hope to learn more tomorrow and the next day etc.

Color is often a topic of sometimes conflict or debate so many tend to not discuss color. Color does need to be discussed on occasion so especially new folks can understand what they are seeing, what might need to be adjusted within their own flock, or in general what color and degree of color should be seen in what areas etc. The degree of color we have on CL huge. The SOP is somewhat vague allowing people to use there own interpretations on the wording. So the allowance of color or lack of color can both be correct. Color shouldn't be the main topic of CL because type is very important to recognizing a breed, as well as maintaining the auto sexing feature and working to better our blue eggs that are often green. Color should be discussed on occasion, in my opinion, so we can better understand the color Cream and how to achieve it and maintain the color within a flock, because there is still much confusion.

As for the color of cream @ChicKat mentioned the UK judge describing cream as pale butter, a stick of butter is a good comparison in my opinion. We were told a while back that the cream color in the hackles and saddle area should be a pale butter color and that is what my goal is.

I have not been breeding long but here is my CL male and he is what I would call somewhat of a pale butter color (though in the future I would like the cream to show a little brighter and warmer in color)

And here is a pullet I also consider to have "pale butter" cream hackles (again im still working to enhance the cream color)

My birds are very far from perfect but the cream color shown is what I personally feel the color Cream should look like in my flock as I am progressing forward. I hope to enhance the cream color some in the future. I will learn more as I do more breedings, hatch more, and see many more chicks mature and I get more experience under my belt. As of now this is what I feel cream looks like but it is just my personal view.

Last edited:
I pop in here from time to time. My observations have been that the hard core Cl.folks are being very thoughtful in the way they have gone about this. There have been significant progress. That said the breed is very complex in color and light and dark specimens are to be expected. Body form or type is the most important part. Getting the correct type while fighting color will be very difficult. This is a very challenging breed. I applaud your progress. ...it is a breed for those of you who are in it for the long haul.

Walt

Thank you for stopping by Walt!

Wow! I take a week off and you all blow up the thread :D a gentle reminder to all young and old, the UK judges I wrote to a while back told us that the ideal cream is a " very pale butter". And while our standard will have different wording than that of the UK, because the APA and the PCGB use different vernacular, the SAME bird should come to mind if you read the cream variety standards side by side. Hope that helps and I wish you all a wonderful week!

Thank you for stopping by Walt!

Wow! I take a week off and you all blow up the thread
big_smile.png
a gentle reminder to all young and old, the UK judges I wrote to a while back told us that the ideal cream is a " very pale butter". And while our standard will have different wording than that of the UK, because the APA and the PCGB use different vernacular, the SAME bird should come to mind if you read the cream variety standards side by side. Hope that helps and I wish you all a wonderful week!
Thank You for adding this!

Back
Top Bottom