Cream Legbar x with Barnevelder

The cockerel is now up to 6 weeks, not quite fully feathered yet.

The other one is 6.5 weeks now and looks pretty much feathered. Does anyone have any views on pullet or cockerel now we are at 6 weeks - I realise possibly still too early.

View attachment 3705917

View attachment 3705918

Thank you!

Looks like a pullet to me! Feminine patterning, small comb, and no real wattle development yet. 🙂

The cockerel is now up to 6 weeks, not quite fully feathered yet.

The other one is 6.5 weeks now and looks pretty much feathered. Does anyone have any views on pullet or cockerel now we are at 6 weeks - I realise possibly still too early.

View attachment 3705917

View attachment 3705918

View attachment 3705919

Thank you!
I agree with you that one is definitely a cockerel.

Considering that the younger one is so obviously male, the chances are pretty good that the older sister is a female. (I would not be positive yet, but definitely hopeful.)

Looks like a pullet to me! Feminine patterning, small comb, and no real wattle development yet. 🙂
I pretty much agree, except that "feminine patterning" in chicks of that age has misled me before. I've seen some cockerels (especially mixed-color ones like Easter Eggers) who got "female" feathers at first, similar to what that pullet is showing, and then developed a more typical non-female pattern as they grew older (like how the first feathers have female-shaped rounded ends in the saddle area, with the male-specific saddle feathers coming in later, except that it only happens with some colors/patterns not all of them.)

Thank you both @pipdzipdnreadytogo and @NatJ , not only for your thoughts on what they might be, but also your explanations which are really useful for a novice like myself.

It sounds hopeful- I shall keep my fingers firmly crossed. I'll keep postng weekly until we are fairly sure and then try to post a photo once fully grown - I've found similar posts quite helpful when searching through the forum.

7 week and 7.5 week photos below. I think I will put them outside in a week or so, in the run with the other hens but seperated so they can see each other, until they are around 18 weeks.

PXL_20231222_090335491.MP.jpg

PXL_20231222_090324721.jpg

PXL_20231222_090331164.jpg

Remaining hopeful on the older one being a pullet.

That definitely looks like a male/female pair by now.
Hopefully that means the one really is female!
Thanks @NatJ . I guess the only thing is as they are mixes, and the cockerel is still a bit smaller (though has caught up a fair bit), maybe they have different traits from the different parent breeds.

Thanks @NatJ . I guess the only thing is as they are mixes, and the cockerel is still a bit smaller (though has caught up a fair bit), maybe they have different traits from the different parent breeds.
Yes, that is part of why I am not entirely certain about one being female, although I am distinctly hopeful.

I think there is no doubt about one being a male (he's been pretty obvious for a while!)
The female is showing a coloring that is much more common in females than males.
And of course there is the comb/wattle difference too.

So up to 8 and 8.5 weeks.

Still quite striking differences. Would 12 weeks be a good time to start feeling confident one is a pullet?

The cockerel started trying to crow last week at 7 weeks....still trying!

They've moved out now as they needed the space and it's not too cold here in London either. In the same run as the older hens (who all seem terrified of them!), but seperated so they can see each other but not physically interact.

PXL_20231229_151647014.jpg

PXL_20231229_150734236.MP.jpg

So up to 8 and 8.5 weeks.

Still quite striking differences. Would 12 weeks be a good time to start feeling confident one is a pullet?

The cockerel started trying to crow last week at 7 weeks....still trying!

They've moved out now as they needed the space and it's not too cold here in London either. In the same run as the older hens (who all seem terrified of them!), but seperated so they can see each other but not physically interact.

View attachment 3714444

View attachment 3714445

By this point, I would be fairly confident that the one is a female. She has been a "maybe-female" for quite a while, and has not shown any signs of being anything else. Her brother has been very obviously male for quite some time, which gives a good point of comparison, too.

I might not be 100% certain until she lays an egg, but I do not really think there is much doubt at this point.

Back
Top Bottom