Cream Legbars

Im wondering if the autosexing features of this breed are impacted by some of the "intersexed" chickens. My friend has a silkie that went from laying eggs to crowing to mounting the hen and fertilizing eggs. Ive seen the article about the chicken that is half male and half female. Just wonder if some of the ambiguous chicks have a little bit of this going on :)

I think that is a near impossibility as the WZ are pretty well defined. I am not saying you are getting abnormal behavior for some reason. And I am not sure if their can ever be a WZZ or a WWZ. But I would look on that with a very skeptical eye.

I am not saying there are not any hermaphrodites in the chicken world but it would be extremely rare, I would think

I really think the error was more mine than the chicks, I either grabbed it fast or did not look close enough, maybe it was a little darker as a chick and I just misread it. He did get them late at night and it was darker and my old eyes were a tad tired.

Now if you really want a weird read http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/03/12/sex-bird-gynandromorph-somatic/

These birds are truly half and half....if they really exist..

Thanks for your interesting replies everyone! It seems most people use sprays rather than physically trying to dominate their roosters? I've noticed he strongly dislikes the stick I use to herd the flock into the run with after they've been in the garden... When he's been aggressive to me it's only been at my footwear. Maybe I should wear something different and see how he reacts? And leave the herding stick in the run so he can see for himself that it's not a threat?

Thanks for your interesting replies everyone! It seems most people use sprays rather than physically trying to dominate their roosters? I've noticed he strongly dislikes the stick I use to herd the flock into the run with after they've been in the garden... When he's been aggressive to me it's only been at my footwear. Maybe I should wear something different and see how he reacts? And leave the herding stick in the run so he can see for himself that it's not a threat?

I do not use sprays. I like to catch a 'bad" rooster and love them to death, well not death, but you know what I mean.

I hold them, pet them. put their head in my arm pit, walk around with them. Flip them over and rub their bellies. I completely dominate them for 10-15 minutes. It is actually nice to treat them like a pet. NOW make sure you are large enough to do these things because he will fight the loving. I play with their combs and wattles. When I set them down they do not ever come back. I do this from time to time, when I can catch them, just to reinforce it.

With my turkey Tom, I hold and pet him a couple times a month, He does not really like it but he tolerates it. He considers me his alpha an he is my number 2. If another Tom tries to sneak attack me, he will jump them and stop the attack, I think he does not want any other bird to dominate e and drive him down the pecking order. The rooster that tried and him now fight often for the number 2 spot. It is not a battle either will win. No one ever seems to get hurt.

Quote:
This is useful - I like hearing about different approaches in dealing with naughty roosters. That being said, I have to say that with Dumbledore, he started charging the hardware cloth of the coop when I walked by, and so I finally just squirted him full on in the face with a bicycle water bottle. Startled, embarrassed, humiliated - all those seemed to cross his little puzzled face, and then he suddenly decided that he wasn't remotely interested in challenging me. I did it once or twice more and then he realized that would happen whenever he charged. Now, if he gives me a "look", all I have to do is start to reach down for the bottle and he suddenly urgently finds a piece of grass 30 feet away FAR more interesting than me... It's actually quite funny. He's never gone after me even in close quarters, I just don't want to leave that fence charging unchallenged in case it then escalates.

I now have another rooster (Naked Neck) who is "feeling the effects of spring" - not as bad as Dumbledore, but occasionally will look like he wants to challenge me through the fence. When he was younger I sometimes did the loving petting lap thing like you indicated, mostly in the evenings (to also give his girls a break from him). But it's just so much easier and less time consuming to just squirt them.... When I don't have the water with me, I stand straight and tall right up against the fence RIGHT in front of them - if they shift, I shift right in front of them. Nothing more aggressive than that, but I won't back down. They suddenly find something that needs their urgent attention on the ground at that point. (And I don't have to chase them down and hold them all evening...)

- Ant Farm

Edit: I should add that in all of these interactions, in my mind is always the sentence: "I am bigger than you and I will ALWAYS win." Sometimes I even say it to them out loud. Sounds silly, but I think that also helps. It certainly makes sure I'm always in the correct mind set so that I don't inadvertently take a more submissive stance that could be detrimental to the whole thing...

Last edited:
This is a boy right? OE: marans male over CL female.Not sure if that's considered a dot. Same chick, different views. Can you help?

Last edited:
I do not use sprays.   I like to catch a 'bad" rooster and love them to death, well not death, but you know what I mean.

I hold them, pet them. put their head in my arm pit, walk around with them. Flip them over and rub their bellies. I completely dominate them for 10-15 minutes. It is actually nice to treat them like a pet. NOW make sure you are large enough to do these things because he will fight the loving.  I play with their combs and wattles. When I set them down they do not ever come back.    I do this from time to time, when I can catch them, just to reinforce it.

With my turkey Tom, I hold and pet him a couple times a month, He does not really like it but he tolerates it.   He considers me his alpha an he is my number 2.  If another Tom tries to sneak attack me, he will jump them and stop the attack, I think he does not want any other bird to dominate e and drive him down the pecking order.  The rooster that tried and him now fight often for the number 2 spot.  It is not a battle either will win. No one ever seems to get hurt.

Thanks for the quick replies, I've actually been doing something similar and holding him in the morning, petting him etc, he didn't seem to mind at all, I then place him on the ground but dot let go, I push him down a bit and he tries to get away so I keep it like that for 30 seconds or so and then let him go, just to show him I decide when he gets to go. He then runs away to the girlies and moves out of my way if I want to leave the run (he likes to take up a position at the entrance of their run for large parts of the day.

This is useful - I like hearing about different approaches in dealing with naughty roosters. That being said, I have to say that with Dumbledore, he started charging the hardware cloth of the coop when I walked by, and so I finally just squirted him full on in the face with a bicycle water bottle. Startled, embarrassed, humiliated - all those seemed to cross his little puzzled face, and then he suddenly decided that he wasn't remotely interested in challenging me. I did it once or twice more and then he realized that would happen whenever he charged. Now, if he gives me a "look", all I have to do is start to reach down for the bottle and he suddenly urgently finds a piece of grass 30 feet away FAR more interesting than me... It's actually quite funny. He's never gone after me even in close quarters, I just don't want to leave that fence charging unchallenged in case it then escalates.

I now have another rooster (Naked Neck) who is "feeling the effects of spring" - not as bad as Dumbledore, but occasionally will look like he wants to challenge me through the fence. When he was younger I sometimes did the loving petting lap thing like you indicated, mostly in the evenings (to also give his girls a break from him). But it's just so much easier and less time consuming to just squirt them.... When I don't have the water with me, I stand straight and tall right up against the fence RIGHT in front of them - if they shift, I shift right in front of them. Nothing more aggressive than that, but I won't back down. They suddenly find something that needs their urgent attention on the ground at that point. (And I don't have to chase them down and hold them all evening...)

- Ant Farm 

Edit: I should add that in all of these interactions, in my mind is always the sentence: "I am bigger than you and I will ALWAYS win." Sometimes I even say it to them out loud. Sounds silly, but I think that also helps. It certainly makes sure I'm always in the correct mind set so that I don't inadvertently take a more submissive stance that could be detrimental to the whole thing...

This is really interesting, maybe I'll try this out too and see what he does! He's seemed more aggressive when I've let them out into the garden and when herding them back in than when they're restricted to their coop and run and I'm in there with them.. He's never squared up to me when I've been on the other side of the fence.

Boy, no chipmunk stripes, no v,wrong color for girl

It is doubtful to me, that it is even full clb

Your thumb covers an area I would to see

Sorry, this is a CL cross for olive egger. Marans male over CL female.I should have clarified

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom